XVI.

"You wanna tell me something, Shane?"

XVI.

Shane's Pov

Jade stirring in my arms was what woke me up. She shifted a bit in her sleep and I slowly opened my eyes to find it still a little dark. The sun was going to rise soon and my heart slammed into my chest as I realized I fell asleep by accident after I planned to wait for her to fall asleep so I could go back to my tent. I sigh and look down at the girl wrapped around my arm, head snuggled into my shoulder. I smile and brush some hair out of her face. She was so fucking beautiful, so damn pure, so innocent. For her to love someone like me, well, it was a damn miracle. The way she accepted me last night after I told her what I did. She didn't hate me, didn't pull away, no, not my girl. She took my face into her hands and told me she understood that I had to do what I had to do. That what I did wasn't okay but she understood why I had to. I should have given her more credit but I was terrified of her walking away more than anything. But my girl is too strong for that, she's faced too much to just turn her cheek when something upsets her.

I know I need to get up now. The plan was for me to go back to my tent last night but I was just so comfortable with her here in my arms. It had been too long since I got to hold her last and I guess my body would't let me leave her. I place a kiss to her forehead and slowly slide away from her. She only stirs a little until she shoves her face in her pillow and gets comfortable again. I smile and then turn to slowly unzip the tent. Although the sun was about to rise, no one would be getting up for a few more hours and although I would love to stay, the chances of us getting caught would be high. My body and mind relax too much when I'm around her, I could sleep for hours with her in my arms and then we'd both be in trouble.

I step out of the tent and slowly zip it back down and quietly walk to my tent a few feet away. I made sure my tent was next to hers when we first set up camp so if anything were to happen I could get to her quickly. Once I'm back in my tent, sleep consumes me again although it's nothing compared to the sleep I usually get when I'm with Jade.

I wake up a few hours later when I hear tents shuffling and conversations. Everyone's getting ready for the day. I stretch out my limbs and tug on my pants and then my boots. I throw on my shirt and grab my cap, placing it on my head as I step out the tent. I see most of the group already starting to gather around the fire for breakfast so I make my way over. I see Jade talking to T and when she catches me looking she smiles at me and then continues her conversation. I can't help but smile at her and then take a seat on one of the lawn chairs and Carol comes over to me and hands me a plate.

"Good morning," she greets me. Her eyes are still sad but I can tell she's been keeping busy with keeping the camp fed and doing laundry.

"Good morning, thank you." I raise the plate up and she nods. Her and Lori continue to hand out food and water and I meet Rick's eyes across from me. He's looking dead at me with a death stare I've seen one too many times on perps back when the world was not what it is today. I'm immediately confused. Does he know? But how would he have found out? Maybe he's still mad at Jade for talking to Hershel and then striking up a conversation with me amidst their argument. I push it to the back of my head as Jade takes a seat next to me.

"Hey, handsome." She says under her breath and shoves a forkful of egg in her mouth. I smirk at the ground and then look back over to her. She doesn't meet my eye though and it's probably a good thing considering we're out in the open.

"Good morning, beautiful. Sleep well?" I ask and continue eating. She nods.

"Sure did, and you?" She asks, the conversations among the group drowning out our own.