Part 14

Today was the day Detective Smith's search party set off in the woods on the edge of town. I sat nervously in maths checking my phone every two minutes. The bell rang signaling the end of the class, I found John walking towards the vending machines.

"Hey, has your dad heard anything?" I asked. John's dad was one of the people who signed up for the search party.

"If he has, he hasn't told me," John said feeding money into the machine. John grabbed the bag of chips out of the bottom.

I turned and walked away, Detective Smith won't even call. I thought. I walked into biology. y/n's seat has remained empty since she disappeared like, nobody bothers to sit there. I sat down, and my phone began to ring.

"Tom, I will be at the school in ten minutes be outside." Detective Smith said hanging up.

I ran out of the class giving no explanation to the teacher and slamming the door behind me.

I ran past John who was once again at the vending machine feeding his face.

"Where are you going Holland?" He shouted after me.

"They got something," I yelled as I ran out of the school.

My heart was pounding, all I could hear was the rush of blood in my ears. Please let her be okay. I thought. Detective Smith pulled into the bus loop sirens blaring.

"Get in kid." He shouted through an open window.

I practically threw myself in the passenger side, slamming my hip into the radio. I slammed the car door shut and we took off down the road.

"What did you guys find?" I asked breathing heavily, I couldn't tell if me not being able to catch my breath was from sprinting outside or from the thought of them finding her.

"We are not sure, you are the only person who can tell us if it's hers."

I watched the town speed by, I watched as the houses got farther and farther apart, soon there weren't any houses just trees blowing gently in the wind. We turned on to the familiar dirt road and drove for miles; deeper and deeper into the woods we went. We drove until the road didn't exist anymore Detective Smith was navigating through trees and around rocks. Soon I saw a group of people gathered among the trees. The car slowed, and the sirens turned off. I jumped out of the car, running to the group of people. Detective Smith was right behind me his belt bouncing off his hips.

"Leo, is this the kid?" A man who I presumed to be the station chief asked.

"Yep, this is him." Detective Smith said standing behind me.

"Follow me, kid." He said.

We walked deeper into the woods, and the chief pulled a small evidence bag out of his pocket.

"Son, do you recognize this necklace?" He asked me.

It had a small circular gold pendant with the words Semper Amare engraved on one side. The delicate gold chain was broken, like he ripped it of her neck.

"Yes, that w-was hers. She never took it off." I said, a small tear traced its way down my cheek.

The chief turned and continued walking. I followed him down a small path, there I looked down at the ground, small strips of fabric created a line the chief was following. The chief grabbed his radio from his belt.

"Get everyone down to the river, the path has gotten longer."

Stay here kid, wait for Leo." The chief said as he unholstered his gun and started down the path.

I tried staying there but I couldn't help the fact that I wanted to follow him. I heard the chief yelling off in the distance.

I started walking quickly, following the strips of fabric.

"Kid what are you doing?" Detective Smith said as he ran up behind me. Before I could answer a gunshot rang through the trees; birds flew up into the sky. I ran down the path Detective Smith at my side. We ran up a steep hill and saw the Chief standing over a body, putting his gun back in his holster.

To Be Continued...   

WC: 703