CHAPTER SIX - A FRIEND AMONG THE WILDERNESS

I woke up with heavy eyelids, the chirping of the birds resonating together with my rumbling belly. I yawn, stretching my paws and claws, until the lack of weight on my back makes me have a sudden panic attack as all that happened yesterday downs on me, making me quickly search for my brother only to find him laying beside me, deep asleep and even snoring a little.

The sound of his heartbeat was like music to my ears, making me heave a sigh out as I look at his sleeping calm face. With a quick look I see that my stamina went back to normal, only with a "slightly hungry and thirsty" over the status line. My brother's, however, was still like this:

HP: 30-70

MP: 300-300

SP: 85-125

Status: Tired, Lack of Blood, slightly hungry and thirsty.

Ok, at least he didn't get anything worst like an infection and is recovering fast from the wound. The problem now is how am I supposed to hunt alone and bring water to him? Hell, I hadn't left the cave that we were born before without mother, and now I'm completely lost, alone, and in a strange place, and in need to care for both of us.

My little stump tail goes back and forth, annoyed as I think about the situation we were in; it didn't take a genius to know how bad it was for a pair of pups to lose their mother in the wild.

Especially in this weird magic woods, where anything was possible.

I shake my head. No, I should focus on getting food, anxiety wouldn't get me anywhere, and most importantly... I needed to become strong. As cliché as it sounds.

Wait...What does cliché mean?

Ugh, where are these words coming from?

I lick my nose when a thought comes to mind; That's another thing too... I'm not a simple pup it seems, I have the advantage of intelligence, of these unique abilities that Reincarnetad brought with it.

I wasn't a young naïve pup. A pup, yes, but with more up my sleep that my brother and others from my age have.

I need to stay hopeful, I think, nodding as I stretch my sore limbs, feeling better than yesterday, and give a big yawn. I Move my brother into a crevice, hiding him in the shadows and make sure that the cave is safe; no bones, no scratch marks, no signal of life or an occupant. Good.

I didn't even have time to grieve for mother.

It may have been only for a month, but for that period she was our world; the food bringer, the shelter, the protector, and I could tell with one look how much she loved us. I'm sorry mother, sorry that we could not even take your body away from those creatures.

Anger wanted to boil inside of me, and I let it. Better been angry than sad and depressed; At least it would help me keep yourselves alive.

I reached the outside of the cave, the blinding light of the sun hitting me square in the face. Ugh. Yesterday we had a feast, but me alone wouldn't be able to take something so big, so better try foxes and rabbits for now.

One good thing at least is that I already know their smell, and I scent it before coming here.

Hm...Maybe I could give blood for my brother to drink for his thirst, but how would I make him drink? I hope he wakes up soon...

A chilling void spirals inside me once I start walking away from him, letting him alone, unconscious and defenseless inside a strange cave.

Shit, don't start it now, get a hold of yourself. The quicker we are done here, the better.