Chapter Twenty-Three

I went down for, what, thirty minutes, one hour, two hours...? It was difficult to tell down in a totally dark tunnel that kept going and going nonstop without anything changing.

When I reached the end my legs hurt but still I felt relieved, almost kissing the floor; but I wasn't that dramatic yet. I had caught the elves smell long ago, not been too hard in a close in place like this, even more a group of them.

Apparently they were down there for three days already, as it was normal to stay for two to three days in for the young ones, but someone who was responsible to meet them at the entrance notice the cave in and reported immediately.

The hope was that they just happen to notice the cave in yesterday, and would be close to the entrance and unharmed.

But a monster dungeon wouldn't let it go so simply.

For what I could gather it was really like the dungeon itself was a monster, with conscious and hungry for energy; which only the dead could give. He could lock people in, change the level of a floor, and so on.

I walked through a little cave entrance, with uneven stones, and it suddenly opened outwards to an enormous place, with a surprisingly high ceiling and stone bridges. The mushrooms were bigger here, illuminating even more in a blueish light, along with some plants falling from the ceiling like hair, shining too.

I look down beside the bridges only to see a never-ending pit. Wonder where it leads, and how big this dungeon is. It there any limits at all? Hm...

But it is funny, strange even, been alone here, everything was... to quiet. I've been always worried about protecting my brother that I never had time to realize how much his support meant to me.

It was a little scary, I admit, been in a strange and dangerous place alone, totally alone for the first time since I was born.

A noise caught my attention, making me perch my ears up.

"For Nature! Why they don't stop coming? Fall back kids! Stay behind me!"

With the Shadow Veil covering my footsteps I run to were the sound came from, quickly arriving at a group of elves surrounded by big bats and rats. But the problem wasn't there; but in the quantity of them, enough that the walls seemed to move, all covered up by little pairs of green mushy eyes.

Well shit.

I looked to the group once more and counted them; there were supposed to be 12 kids and 2 adults, but there were only 10 kids. The elves looked tired, even more the adult ones, as one of them kept a wind shield around the kids and the other tried to open a path for them to pass.

For how long have they been keeping this up?

I jump in front of them, taking off my Shadow Veil and scaring everybody around; specially the mouse I crushed under my paws; and let a stream of fire cover all the rats and bats around, lighting the cave like little torches.

The creatures were beyond scared by the bright and hot light, and soon enough were fleeing away while I chase them back.

Once I got rid of them I had the full attention of the elves, with their weapons still up. I sigh.

"Hello there, my name is Pallaran Thilgon Minaothon, and I came to rescue you." I said in Elven Language, and told them my full name since it seems to be a big deal around here.

"Minaothon? The Minaothon?" I raise my eyebrow at that, annoyed, as he coughs and lowers his weapon. With his attention, I quickly explain the situation, distributing the supplies around.