The First Match

Sophie was counting the days till Sia's arrival. Unfortunately the Peshtims had scheduled to arrive just one day before the start of the tournament. The days dragged on as huge inflows of guests started filling the water, land and the mountains of Midos. The royals on all three terrains had made ample arrangements to make the guests feel comfortable. Prince Dai had arranged for a welcome feast in their honour, Prince Neal had secured entertainment from around the land and Princess Maya had ordered her nymphs to make more holes in the wall.

As soon as she could, Sophie demanded a monopoly on Sia's time. Sia told her all about her new home and her married life while Sophie filled her in with details about her new home at the grounds and her life as a guardian.

"You have to see my new house. It's above a garment store."

"And you are excited because?" Sia raised an eyebrow.

"I get discount on the clothes."

Sia dramatically put her hand on her heart. "For a minute there I thought that the ground has changed you."

Sophie shook her head in disdain. "Tell me about your castle."

"The castle is at the highest peak. The view is breath-taking. And they have these beautiful apple orchards. And the human Princess Marya is also nice."

"What about the burnt prince?" Sophie asked.

"Please don't call Ez-Hur that," Sia emphasized.

"Okayyy." Sophie apologised. "How does he look? Does the stories do him any justice?"

"Exactly what we heard."

"I wish I could see," Sophie caught herself before Sia could reprimand her again, "uh, meet him in person."

"The girls he meets in person tend to end up in his bed," Sia said with such a flat face that Sophie couldn't comprehend whether she was amused with it or appalled by it. Seeing Sophie at a loss for words, she smiled. "But enough about him. There are so many things I need to tell you. Getting married really changes everything."

Sia kept talking about her married life and Sophie found herself thinking that she would not mind that life, if only she could retain the occasional use of her sword. She only had a year and some change before her twenty fifth. Although Sophie found the mandatory marriage law disturbing, she couldn't hate it. It was a necessity. And she would've still gotten married in the absence of it. The idea of having someone who wouldn't leave you till death, was too sweet to forfeit.

"You are not participating! I can't believe it!" Sophie exclaimed. "You are in cahoots with Prince Neal and Dai."

"I know they both have their reasons and so do I." Sia said biting her lower lip to hide her smile.

"Dai's reason is pride. 'It's not fair to him to compete with the peasants.' Or are you going to use Prince Neal's 'it won't be fair to the others'? Because if you really want to bolt, either of them will suit you."

"My reason is far more important." Sia made a dramatic gesture towards her belly, "It won't be fair to the baby."

"Praise to Lord Star." Sophie's eyes grew wide. "Congratulations," she said hugging her.

"I haven't told Dai or father yet. So hold your tongue for some time, will you?"

"Yes, Your Highnesses." Sophie said. "Why do people keep on piling secrets on to me?"

"What kind of secrets?" Sia asked raising her brow.

Sophie thought about Neal's wrist and the scars on it but decided against telling Sia. Even if she already knew about it, it wasn't Sophie's place to discuss it. She had come upon it by chance and it would only embarrass the prince to know that she had seen his scars.