The Jealous Starlite

The first day of the tournament had not been good for Neal. He was sitting in the front row, sandwiched between his mother and the Peshtim princess Marya, with the latter determined to cling to him. Because of her, he hadn't met Sia and Dai who were sitting with all the other starlites right across the arena. Neal looked at the empress for help. She shrugged.

Neal shut the outer world and concentrated on the one face that calmed him. Marya was still chatting about whatever competition was being held, thinking that he was observing it intently.

The time came when Sophia lost the match. He could see that she was hurt. But Sophia went back to her seat trying to show the maturity she didn't possess. Neal could not look at that sad face anymore, knowing that it wasn't in his power to do anything. He returned to his surroundings.

"What is that girl's problem?" Marya said. She was looking at Sophia.

"What's the matter?"

"I have a feeling that she doesn't like me. And I haven't even met her."

Neal glanced at Sophia. "Why would you think that? She is just upset by her loss."

"This has been going on since the morning. If she is so upset by the match, she should make her opponent and other Esites uncomfortable. What have I done to her?"

"I'm sure you are mistaken." Neal could see no reason why Sophie would have a problem with the princess.

"I'm not," she said sternly.

The second day of the tournament started with the same story.

"Prince Shrutketu is looking in our direction," Marya said. "He has a strange expression on his face."

"He is just upset that he lost," Neal said with a feeling of deja vu. He wondered if this was an everyday occurrence with the princess.

"I'm warning you. He is looking at you in a hostile manner."

"I've never met him in my life." It was Shrutketu's first time in the grounds of Midos. There was no chance of them having met before.

"I wonder if it is a starlite trait. That girl lost and made me uncomfortable, now the prince lost and is clearly shooting daggers at you."

King Suffle's fight with Prince Shrutketu had been the opening event of the day.
The prince had failed to concentrate on his match because he was preoccupied with a starlite face. His search for that starlite had started ever since he had entered Midos. He had even missed the events of the opening day in his pursuit.

Shrutketu found the face he was searching for after he lost the match and took his seat next to Sia. He found it in the least likely place, among the human crowd, sitting next to Princess Marya. A thousand emotions flew through his mind. A moment of confusion was followed by denial, shock, anger, jealousy, disgust, hurt, relief, curiosity, determination, guilt, irritation, hope, trust, anxiety, fear, embarrassment, horror, stress, interest, doubt, shame, happiness, frustration and many other feelings.

"Who is he?" Shrutketu asked Dai even though Neal's identity was evident.

"That's Neal," Dai said, "The human prince. Haven't you seen him before?"

"I think I have." Shrutketu gritted his teeth. He had never met Neal. Even during the peace meetings, starlites had negotiated with starlites and humans with humans. Only his father, the king had met Neal.

Shrutketu decided to confront his wife at night. His sour mood all day was attributed to his loss.

"I saw Neal today," he said to his wife that night.