The Other Prince

Sophie was astonished. It was Prince Dai's voice. She opened her door to find him floating outside.

"I didn't think you knew my address."

"Of course I do." Dai entered. "Are you alright?"

"Why won't I be?"

"Exactly," he said. "I only came here because Si was threatening to. I didn't want her to travel in her condition. I tried to reason with her, but she is..you know how she is." Dai smiled. "You have only lost a match. She is acting like it's the end of the world. Somebody has to lose. I have heard that pregnant women tend to be over emotional."

"Sorry about the travel," Sophie said. "I know you don't like it."

Dai shrugged. "Well, I was in the grounds already, so not much of an effort."

Sophie was grateful. It was good to have a known presence near her. Dai was the only person other than Sia who could have made her feel better.

"That's a nice painting," he said looking at Happiness.

"Thank you."

"Much better than mine." Dai had recognised the painter.

"Have I seen yours?"

"No," Dai said grinding his teeth, "and you never will."

"I gather it's not flattering."

"I'm sleeping in it." He frowned.

Sophie chuckled. "Mine's gluttony, you are sloth."

"I feel like I don't see you enough since Si left."

"We are not children anymore," Sophie said, "I have a job in the grounds now. And you are married."

"So what? Married men can't meet their sisters?" He waved his hand. "Well, how's your job going?"

"Quite well."

"You never got to meet Mishty properly," he said.

"You should throw a ball." The prince's love of balls wasn't a secret to anyone.

"Splendid idea. We'll do that before Si leaves," Dai said, "but right now we have more important stuff to do."

"Like?"

"You need to practise for your fight. Come on, I will be your partner."

A river of happiness drenched her. Even if she had nothing else, her family was always with her.

"I know a place we can use," she said.

She guided him towards a nearby field.

Dai looked around and commented, "Perfect place to practise." He took a fighting stance.

They practised till they were exhausted.

"You are as good as ever," Dai said leaning on his sword for support. "What happened in the arena?"

"I don't know." Sophie bit her lip. "That was a big crowd. And everyone staring at me.'

"You just got nervous." Dai touched her shoulders. "It's okay."

"I'll try not to think about the audience next time."

"Don't do that," he advised. "The more you try to forget, the more you'll be thinking about it. Just be happy that they are there. The reason you are on the stage and they are in the audience is that you are greater and better. Be proud. Be arrogant. Give them something to remember, because the crowd tends to forget."