†6†

CHAPTER SIX
SPIES

It was sunny, the day they finally set foot outside Rivendell.

Nesryn, nevertheless gave the journey no surprise for she had none as she had foreseen sooner or later it would all come to that. Regret she as well found none, only sadness was something the woman had to face; sadness as with every step the Fellowship took increased. Sadness for friendship of Quelestia.

Fearlessly she stepped aside Gandalf, for she could see the wizard was in deep thought and could not be bothered by anything, not her attempts at conversation. Land stretched before her eyes, still, as if waiting for something yet awful to happen. Green, but sad grass covered the ground beneath her feet, mountains now father away and slowly fading in the distance as pure stone gradually became one of the things in her surroundings.

Silence, not even bird singing could be heard, until waking behind her Legolas and Pippin started whispering. At first it was just Pippin asking questions about Mirkwood, but then after who knew how long she heard something that perked her interest; it was about her.

"Why is she a mystery?" Pippin happily strode aside Legolas, trying to match the fast steps of elven prince with his smaller ones.

"Not much is known, only the name." The Ellon answered quickly, rather distressingly as he had picked up Nesryn indeed heard them.

"Why?"

"Edenon burned some 400 years ago, all that was is now lost." Legolas continued as Nesryn decided to fall in step with two.

"What he meant to say, Pippin, is that I am the last of Edenon's people." She gazed sadly at the ground, her mind trying but failing to find the thought of what has been bothering her for centuries. It fell silent afterwards, for it was obvious young Hobbit took her words in consideration closely. Nesryn couldn't blame him, nor anyone that any trace of Edenon was wiped away after a, it looked like, big fire or attack burned to the ground that majestic kingdom. After all, it took fifty years for the news of Edenon's falling to spread, for it's living in shadows of grater mountains played quite a big role that it was impossible to find it now.

Or as many would say, you could only find it if you knew where was it.

Nesryn's mind was troubled ever since, fighting against the desire to wander into unknown and unkind world, a lost wish of a traveller to unlock the secret behind the keep her mind was. However it was no use, for the lost kingdom could not be found by even the greatest of forces as Gandalf the gray or any of the Istari were.

She stepped by Legolas, angered and partly frightened, not of the world, or people but herself. The locked knowledge of herself was what frightened her. She was not able to shake it off, not able to think of anything else aside that as suddenly a hand touched her shoulder. Nesryn jumped at the impact, ready to fight off whoever had touched her.

It was Legolas.

The Elf looked merely worried. "I sense you have changed." He spoke slowly and regally as his graceful steps moved over another rock in the path.

Nesryn did not know how to answer for mere second. "Perhaps the war did that to me. I am not the only one who lost the homeland." She continued up another path, rocky it was that made her trip on almost every step.

Legolas said nothing afterwards, for he knew that day he had seen the end of Durin's line. In fire it all started, and so it ended. He knew Thorin was Nesryn's only hope in finding her homeland again, he knew Erebor and Edenon have always had a special connection, none the other lands did. Gold, its name was.