Dae By Dae

“What do you mean he’s staying here?” Arthit harrumphs.

    “He needs a place to stay for a while,” Kongpob tries to calm his boyfriend down which is currently not working. “He’s my junior, P’. You’ll do the same thing for me if I was in his shoes, right?”

    “You’re freaking rich!” Arthit says, “You can live anywhere you want.”

    “P’ –

    “Uhm,” from the side of the room where Kongpob’s table is located, Dae speaks up, “I can hear you guys from here.”

    “I don’t care,” Arthit snaps.

    “P’.” Kongpob rubs his boyfriend’s arms, trying to placate him, “It’s just temporary –

    “P’s right, P’Arthit,” Dae says. “I won’t be staying long.”

    Arthit glares at Dae and moves Kongpob towards the hallway. He cups Kong’s face and sighs, “Why are you so kind, Kong?”

    “I’m his senior, P’,” Kongpob smiles. “I’m just trying to help.”

    It’s the Saturday after his conference and as promised Arthit went to Kongpob’s place to see him. But he wasn’t expecting a visitor late at night and he sure wasn’t expecting a roommate, no matter how temporary the guy is staying.

    “What if he tries to steal something? Huh?”

    “I won’t!”

    “Shut up will you!” Arthit sneers at Dae, “Quit butting in conversations you’re not part of.”

    “He’s part of this technically,”

    “Now you’re taking his side?” Arthit quirks a brow.

    “P’,” Kongpob looks him in the eye and lowers his voice, “He came here to ask for my help. He brought all his possessions with him in that bag which I saw him bring every day to school. I wouldn’t offer him my place if I knew he can crash on somebody else’s place. He just transferred school he probably has no friends close enough to lend him a hand.”

    Arthit chews his lips. His boyfriend does have a point, and if it was Kongpob needing help like Dae does, he won’t hesitate to help him. But that doesn’t mean he’s comfortable knowing his boyfriend is sharing a roommate with a freshman who, by the looks of it, looks at Kongpob like he hung the moon.

    He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. He knows Kongpob has a tendency to help people he cares about, but he didn’t think that that would extend to his boyfriend offering his place for a sanctuary to homeless students – or whatever case Dae has.

    “Fine,” Arthit nods, “Fine, I’ll let him stay here –

    “Thank you, P’ –

    “But only for a few days, got it?” he continues, “Let him stay here until someone sane enough takes him in.”

    Kongpob smiles but doesn’t say anything.

    That’s how Arthit finds himself lounging on his boyfriend’s bed while waiting for Kong to be back for a quick snack run. He went hungry from all the information he had to take in from that conference, and now with the situation they’re in. Dae’s still sitting on Kongpob’s table, seemingly not knowing what to do with his position.

    “Let me make things clear,” Arthit speaks. Dae looks at him with wide eyes, not saying anything so he continues, “I’m only letting you stay because that idiot senior of yours has a heart bigger than both of ours combined. Frankly, I’m not comfortable with you being here. As long as you don’t do anything stupid we won’t have any problem, got it?”