Chapter Eight

The school day went by in a flash.

First period, Mr Smith called attendance and Terra Louis was absent. During second and third, they had a test that Greg finished in under fifteen minutes, and spent the rest of the class reading like usual.

This time the young teen was reading about John Wayne Gayce.

'Amature.'

During lunch, Greg ate in the library where he did research on local camping areas.

"This one should serve us nicely," he whispered to himself

After school, Greg walked home, avoiding the route Chad usually took

"Soon, but not today, you primitive ape," he grumbled to himself.

When he got home, his mother had already finished setting up the backyard, and within the hour, his dad arrived home to set up the grill.

Not long afterwards, Nick was the first to show up with a six pack of beer.

"I don't usually drink, but tonight is a special occasion," Jack chuckled with a wink.

Soon, Mike and Jenny Robinson were there as well. The Robinsons were friends with mostly everyone in the community. The two had average names, average appearance, and had an average lifestyle.

Mike was a software designer of forty-five years and Jenny was a housewife. Neither of them could have kids and had long since stopper trying, but they never seemed to lose their cheery demeanors.

"We brought potato salad!" they said in unison, which only went to show just how average and cliché they were.

'Is that what it's like to be in love?' Greg thought distainfully as he sort of just stood off to the side.

They were all talking amongst themselves when they heard the very obvious and loud noise of a station wagon pull up.

"That must be the Louis family," Brenda smiled as she opened the door to a six foot tall, 300lbs man who was accompanied by a much smaller, but equally heavy woman.

"Hey, y'all!" the man spoke just as loudly as his beat up vehicle.

"We didn't know we had to bring something. I've just been so sick lately..." the woman sighed.

"That's okay," Jack answered, awkwardly glancing over at Nick.

While Brenda beckoned the two guests to sit down, two, incredibly skinny children walked through the door without a word and joined everyone had the large table full of food.

The group all began to eat and chat once more, Nick and Jack discussing sports while Jenny spoke to the new couple, Martha and Cletus, about religion.

Somewhere in the conversations, the subject of school came up.

"Greg, how did you do on your tests today?" Martha asked curiously.

"I passed," Greg answered without peering up from his food.

"Wow, you got your results that fast?" Nick asked through a mouthful of meat.

"No, I just knew all the answers," Greg answered with subtle annoyance.

"He works as hard as he plays, this one does," Jack laughed proudly. "He has been on a date almost every night!"

"They weren't all dates, Dad. Jeez, I'm not a gigolo," Greg shot back, slightly embarrassed.

"Maybe he just hasn't met the right person," Nick added, locking eyes with Greg and not so subtly flicking his eyes towards the only young girl in the room.

Everyone found this amusing except the Louis parents.

Terra, her cheeks flushed, was about to speak when Cletus cut in.

"My brother 'n law is real sorry he couldn't make it, but he is real sick. Might got what this one over here has," he said, changing the subject while everyone else just nodded awkwardly.

"Aren't you two going to eat?" Brenda asked kindly, noticing the Louis children had empty plates.

Terra opened her mouth to speak again, but Cletus didn't hesitate to interrupt her.

"Terra 'n Hunter vegans 'cause our religious beliefs."

"Why did you have meat, then?" Greg asked with a furrowed brow.

Martha started to speak this time, but, of course, Cletus was the one to continue.

"It's our cheat day!" he said shamelessly while eating his fifth hamburger.

Dinner went on a big awkwardly, but afterwards, Greg brought the Louis children a few apples.

Terra and Hunter were incredibly shy and looked out of place, but thanked Greg nonetheless

"Can we get a jump to get home?" Cletus asked once the table was cleared.

"We've been low on cash since the government cut this 'n check," he added, pointing to Hunter. "Some gas money would be good, too. I'll pay y'all back once our checks start comin' in."

"We can help!" The Robinson's immediately offered, leading them away.

Terra lagged behind, but when she eventually started to follow, Greg noticed Nick and his dad pointing at her and moving around dramatically.

'We are way off schedule,' Greg sighed internally. 'But this might work to our advantage.'

"Hey, Terra, did you know that this town has one of the last drive-ins in the whole world?" Greg pretended to ask shyly.

"Ugh..." Both Nick and Jack face palmed off to the side, but they were surprised when Terra's face lit up.

"No, I didn't," she answered just as shyly. "But, I'd like to see it sometime."

"Come on, take it home!" Jack whispered not so subtly.

"Maybe we can see it this Friday?" Greg offered, dropping his gaze to the ground.

"Hmmm...okay!"

"Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll!" Nick suddenly yelled, causing Terra to bolt out the door.

"Touchdown!" Jack joined in.

"Slamdunk!" the two incredibly drunk men yelled in unison.

"For God's sake, would you two grow up?!" Brenda scolded as the two men high-fived.

'Huh, guess I have a date Friday night," Greg thought, not genuinely interested, but genuinely surprised.