Chapter Nine

The next day went by just as fast and eerily as similar, which gave Greg a major sensation of deja vu.

The only difference was Terra's presence this time, who Greg decided to avoid for the time being.

The day went smoothly, and during lunch, Greg spend his time in the library researching the local Latino gangs.

"Got you, Pedro Ramirez," Greg muttered to himself as he scribbled down some notes in a black notebook about the gang's leader.

The rest of his classes went by so quickly that Greg honestly couldn't remember what went on, and before he knew it, he was waiting for his father at their closed store.

When Jack did get there, Greg told him that he was going for a run that night.

"I've been slacking on my cardio at Nick's and it's catching up to me," Greg sighed, pretending to show concern.

"Don't stay out too late," his dad said, smirking as he drove away, leaving his son behind.

Convinced that his son really was just jogging home, Greg made sure his father was long gone before doing the exact opposite and heading into the store to get dressed.

The man known as Pedro Ramirez was laying on the ground, bleeding from a head wound as the figure in a black jacket, holding a heavy hammer, knelt before him.

"We almost didn't hunt you," he said. "You always have your little pack around you, so we deemed you high risk, but we knew there was one place you wouldn't have them."

While the man groaned on the ground, the figure pointed across the street to a park where a little girl was happily running around.

"Don't touch her!" Pedro yelled in the dark, damp alley where the figure had dragged him.

"Don't worry, we see children as...a necessary evil. Only to kill when it benefits our plans," the figure explained, leaning closer to the man's face. "But you and your gang are pure evil, spreading nothing but violence and hate to those around you."

The figure's voice remained monotonous despite his words, the unknown male raising the hammer as he continued.

"We don't usually like to get our own hands dirty, but this plan calls for it."

Before Pedro could retaliate, he firmly brought the hammer down on the man's skull, striking until the movements stopped.

"Half way finished," he mumbled while pulling out a hatchet and a box of garbage bags from his coat pocket.

"Looks like the run went a little too long tonight," he sighed after checking his watch, making sure to not rush through his little lifeless project.