Chapter Ten

Greg sat behind the store counter thinking about the events at school, a thought that usually didn't cross his mind.

'Terra was absent again this week, maybe she'll cancel tonight, too. That would give us an extra day to tie up the loose ends of the plan,' he thought. 'She may have been absent, but our janitor friend was very much present. Complete with bandages and even his own shaven-headed bodyguards.'

'We will have to pick our moment wisely, and until then I'll have to seek help from a higher power.'

Just then a foreign sound rang across the empty store.

It was the bell announcing a customer.

Greg peered around the corner with actual curiosity to see Terra awkwardly standing there.

"H-Hello, Greg."

"Hello, Terra," Greg blinked before regaining his composure. "I didn't expect you here. I was going to pick you up once my dad gave me the jeep."

"Well, I got done with everything at home and figured I would save you the trip," she shrugged with a faint smile.

"That's fine," Greg chuckled. "The store doesn't close for another forty-five minutes, so if you want to sit behind the counter and wait, you can."

"Thank you," she nodded shyly and did just that, sitting in a chair close by.

"No problem," he shrugged nonchalantly. "I have to get some stuff organized in the back, but I'll be right back."

Without waiting for an answer, Greg zoomed off to finish putting away some glass cups, but what he was actually doing was mentally scrambling around for a way to start a conversation with this girl, let alone hold one.

'She saw a brief glimpse into who we are that day we stepped between her and Chad. We have to make sure she sees us as a normal guy, or--'

Greg was suddenly pulled from his thought when he once again heard the sound of the bell announcing yet another visitor.

Slightly annoyed about customers finally deciding to show up at the worst possible time, Greg approached the front, but stopped when he heard voices.

"C'mon, I just want ten dollars, it works great!" an intoxicated man begged an obviously uncomfortable Terra.

"Okay, okay, five dollars and it's yours!" the man quickly countered even though Terra remained silent, frantically peering around for Greg.

"What can I do for you, sir?" Greg interrupted without hesitation.

"This little lady wanted to buy my bike!" The man refocused on him, pointing at Terra as if accusing her of a crime. "Said she'd pay three dollars for it!"

"No, I didn't!" Terra squeaked back, trembling so violently it looked like her skinny frame would snap in half.

"Don't lie to me!" the man screeched, slamming his hand on the counter.

"Now, now, we need to be civilized," Greg said calmly, eyeing the hunting knives in the case below the man's hand. "Sir, you will have to come back. We don't do business with intoxicated individuals."

Greg had already predicted what was about to happen by the man's body language, but if Terra saw Greg block the drunken man's punch, would she be suspicious?

The punch came sloppily at Greg, but even though it was weak and badly aimed, Greg pretended to take a massive amount of damage, gasping and groaning in pain.

"Remember that next time!" the drunken man slurred before scurrying out the door.

"Are you okay?!" Terra cried out after the drunk was long gone.

"Yeah, we get a few of those people in here. They try to sell their trash while high or drunk, then try to buy it back for less. We don't do business with them because of that, but most don't get violent because they know who my dad is..." Greg groaned even more to milk it as much as he could.

"I got a good look at him, so we'll tell your dad when he gets here!"

"No, don't. That guy won't even remember coming in here, so it will just be another distraction for him."

They both just sat in silence afterwards, sitting back in their separate chairs until Greg chose to break it.

"Hey, I noticed you haven't been to school lately. Is everything okay?"

"Y-Yes, everything is fine!" Terra immediately answered, her eyes widened in surprise. "My uncle needed some help because of his... condition."

"Condition? Your dad said he was sick, but I didn't know he needed care."

"Oh, it's not like that!" Terra continued, awkwardly flapping her hands around while her gaze looked at anything but Greg. "It's nothing, don't worry about it, but did I miss anything big at school?"

"Not much..." Greg blinked, not really able to miss such an obvious switch of topic. "A few fights, some tests, some assignments. I can bring you the homework you missed, and if you can make up the tests, I can help you study."

"No, thanks," Terra shot Greg's offer down not even a second after it was spoken, flinching when Jack pulled up in the jeep. "I usually do well enough in school. It's kinda easy, ya'know? Just do the work and get the grade. It's other kids who make it hard."

"Well, I know a certain kid who won't be a problem much longer..." Greg mumbled under his breath as Terra's attention was drawn towards the front door the moment his dad walked in.