Chapter Nineteen

It was a gray, overcast day when Greg walked into Terra's hospital room with flowers in hand. She was talking with her father.

Greg, not wanting to speak to Cletus, quickly backed up into the hallway to listen.

"I made a wutcha call it? An executive decision," he said to a clearly upset Terra.

"$20,000?! You sold my virginity for $20,000?!" Terra sobbed uncontrollably.

"Dat guts lawyers said it could be held up in court fer years and witchu and yer brother bein' out of work and me bein' injured, we need the money."

Terra was at the point was screaming now, making the nurses rush in to calm her.

"You have to leave now, Mr. Louis," a nurse said, causing Greg to turn tail and leave the hospital all together.

Walking out of the front doors, he tossed out the flowers and heard that annoying southern voice call out to him.

"Hey, Greg!"

Much to his disgust, he turned to see Cletus running after him across the hospital parking lot.

Clenching his jaw, Greg peered over at his reflection in a car window.

"Don't say it!" it mouthed silently over and over.

"Hey, Greg!" Cletus panted, having finally reached the boy. "You must be here to see Terra... She's doin' good... 'Ey, can I borrow--"

The man finally looked at Greg and was immediately cut off my the kid's glare.

'Don't say it!'

"Get out of here before we kill you," Greg expressed calmly, but even without a menacing tone, Cletus didn't hesitate to scurry away.

Shoving his fists into his pockets, Greg clicked his tongue and proceeded to walk to school.

There was a moment of silence for Terra during first period, but most of the day after that flew by pretty fast and before he knew it, it was lunch time.

Greg walked his usual route to the cafeteria to stand in line for some food, grabbing a lunch tray when he suddenly felt eyes all around him.

Not bothered a bit, Greg was on his way out when he heard the booming voice of Chad Wilson at a nearby table bragging about his overwhelming confidence about the wrestling championships.

"Hope you're not stressing too hard, bro!" one of the other kids in the group said.

"Nah, I have the guts to take the glory," he grinned, "And besides, babe and I had a stress relief session the night before last."

While high-fiving his group of idiots, Greg accidentally tripped and spilled the entire content of his tray down Chad's back, sparking a seas of laughter and gasps as Chad instantly stood up.

"I-I'm so sorry!" Greg acted, subtly grinning when Chad didn't waste time in charging him.

Greg easily side-stepped the raging bull, causing Chad to slip on the fallen food and tumble into another group of kids.