Chapter Twelve

That Saturday, Greg felt distracted by the night's events. Luckily his reflexes had been trained so it was second nature to block the large man and lock his huge arm uncomfortably behind his back as Pete tapped on Greg's arm, signaling his submission.

Greg immediately released his opponent and bowed to him, turning and bowing to Nick as well.

"You're getting faster with those counters," Pete commented through gasps of exhaustion.

"Thanks, but you should try stretching more," Greg joked, faking a smile.

"Alright everyone. Line up!" Nick called out to the class.

"What is Jujitsu?"

"The gentle art!" the class answered.

"Good! Remember, when you have to use it in a life or death situation, when the threat of force confronts us, we do not use force to repel it. Instead, we use its own force against it, and most importantly, we always look for a non-lethal finish to a fight because all life matters and must be preserved."

'The irony of those words is never lost on us, no matter how many times he says them,' Greg thought to himself.

"Class dismissed!"

Greg was rushing out the door when Nick stopped him.

"Greg, a minute?"

"Yes, but I have to hurry home," Greg responded, wanting nothing more than to decline, but not able to think of a good enough excuse on the spot.

"It should only take a second," Nick reassured him, stepping into the back room where he continued.

"I couldn't help but notice you seemed a bit distracted during the lesson today. I hope it's about your decision to teach, but I don't want to jump to conclusions," he said, only half joking.

"No, it's just some other stuff," Greg shrugged, actually telling the truth for once.

"Oh.." Nick blinked, his face falling. "Well, that's her loss."

Greg knew he meant Terra, but he really didn't want to start a useless conversation about that. Besides, it was none of his business anyway.

"I won't be here tomorrow," he said, wanting this interaction to be done with.

"Stuffing your face with junk and crying in the dark, huh?" Nick chuckled with a wink.

"No," Greg replied, getting annoyed, but offering an amused smirk. "Mom has been trying to get me to go to church with her for weeks now, so I figured I would give in for once just to get her off my back for a while."

"Ah, okay," Nick said, seeming to agree, too.

A person doesn't simply brush off Brenda Matthews for long, be it her son or not.

"I understand. Tell the big guy upstairs I said hi," Nick smirked, walking Greg out the door.

"Oh, and Greg..."

Greg almost pretended he didn't hear him, but stopped halfway outside and peered over his shoulder. "Don't take it that hard, man. You're a good kid. Well educated, from a good family, smart... You'll find someone someday."