An Eventful Exam

By the time you get to your destination, you're almost completely out of breath. Finally, you whisper to yourself, I can finally get into UA! All I have to do is pass the entrance exam, and that'll be easy. I've been preparing for this moment for years! I know I'll make it, I'm sure of it!

     You take in a deep breath of fresh morning air. You enter the building, absolutely certain that you'll ace whatever test they give you. What you don't know, however, is that there's more to the entrance exam than you had expected. As you finish writing down the last few answers for the written test, Present Mic informs you of the next step: battling robots. Yep. You didn't see that coming. It's a good thing your quirk can easily destroy those hunks of metal. However, you're a bit confused as to why you and the other potential students have to battle a bunch of robots. Sure, fighting skills are definitely needed for a hero to be successful, but there's so much more to heroes than just fighting. Heroes have to consider many things when attempting to stop a villain: protecting civilians, collateral damage, and teaming up with other heroes to stop powerful foes, to name a few. You know that there has to be more to this exam than just fighting, but what could it be?

     You dash to your designated battle center and start stretching to get ready for the practical. Suddenly, you hear an irritated voice scream in frustration, breaking the near-silence. The individual yelled about how it was taking so long for the exam to begin and cussed quite a bit. To you, he sounds like he's about to blow his top, if he hasn't already. Suddenly, the gate to the battle center opens without warning. I suppose it'll be like this when we're heroes, you ponder. We won't have much of a heads-up when a villain decides to wreak havoc. You're even more certain that there's more to this exam, yet still have no idea as to what it could be. You just sigh as you swiftly scour the city replica, destroying every robot that comes your way.

     Eliminating another robot, you look past its mechanical remains to see a boy with a... Bird head? And something black is coming out of him and wrecking these robots. That black thing must be his quirk, you wonder. Just as you're about to leave the area, you spot a 3-point "villain" sneaking up behind him. It's pretty loud even though it's trying to be stealthy, but the boy doesn't seem to notice it. If that thing attacks him, he could get really hurt. He might not even be able to finish the practical! I have to help him. With one swift blow from your quirk, the robot falls to the ground, defeated. The boy looks back and realizes what had happened.

     "Thanks," he says in a deep voice before searching for more robots. He definitely seems good enough to make it into UA. You both go your separate ways, destroying more robots and gaining more points. Eventually, you run into the nut who was shouting and swearing earlier. He is dominating the battlefield, striking down robots quickly and ferociously. You start to feel competitive, and desire to destroy even more robots than him. Your quirk allows you to absorb your opponent's power and energy, weakening them and strengthening yourself. This makes it very easy to take on the robots. However, if you use this quirk too much or for too long, you start to get a migraine, and if you're not careful, you could even pass out in the heat of battle. Thankfully, these robots don't take much absorption to defeat, so you've been doing pretty well with the backlash of your quirk. However, with a fierce drive to beat the badmouthed boy, you go into a frenzy of destruction. Your head starts to throb, and your vision begins to blur, but you continue to use your quirk anyway. I'll be okay if I stop after this one... last... robot...

     All you can see is black. Your head feels as though it's exploding. You sit down and begin breathing heavily. You knew this wasn't a good idea, but you let your competitive nature control you. You hear a loud mechanical noise nearby, but your vision is still blurry and your entire body aches from over-using your quirk. When you can see well enough, you look in the direction of the noise. The 0-point robot has come and is just a few feet away from you. You start to panic as it lurches forward, ready to smash you into the ground. Just now, you feel something wrap around you and carry you into the shadow of a nearby building. Whatever was holding onto you lets go after gently putting you on the ground. You look up to see the boy you met earlier, the one you had saved from the 3-point robot.

     "...Th-thank you... you saved me..." you utter, still overwhelmed by pain.

     "You saved me earlier," he replied, "So I felt obliged to aid you. Your quirk is immensely powerful, so how did you get injured?"

     "That... that was my fault. I... used my quirk... too much." You blush in embarrassment as you admit your mistake.

     "Ah. That seemed like the only possibility. Be more wary of your limits in the future, or you could get seriously injured."

     "I know... it was a really stupid mistake. I might... have been unable... to continue." Still in great pain, you stand up and face him. "Thanks again for saving me. I'm going to try to get some more points."

     "Are you sure that's a wise decision? You can barely walk-"

     "I'm not going to fight. I finally realized what they were trying to hide: rescue points."

     "...Rescue points?"

     "What's the point of a practical exam if we're just fighting robots? I knew there was something else they were looking for, but now I know what. Heroes need to fight villains and save innocents. Those are their two main jobs, so it only makes sense that we would be tested on both our fighting and rescuing capabilities."

     "That's an excellent point. Should we-" He was interrupted by a loud explosion. You both look over in awe at a green-haired boy punching the 0-point robot into oblivion. You then notice a girl stuck under a pile of rubble and realize that the green-haired boy had saved her by destroying the 0-pointer. The boy who just saved you looks at you and says, "That individual just earned an insane amount of rescue points. Let's see if anyone else is in need of rescue." You nod as you search for someone in need of assistance together. I knew he was going to get into UA, you think to yourself as you look over your shoulder at the boy who you saved and who saved you. Now I kinda hope we get in the same class!