03

Lyra (2)

Later that day, a feast was held in honor of Chief Unalaq. Mako and I sat at a round table with my father, Uncle Bumi, Aunt Kya and the famous Water Tribe sisters: Katara and Ruka.

"Looks like someone's trying to take your place as the Avatar's stick-in-the-mud Mentor." Bumi elbows my father teasingly.

"Bumi, don't pick on Tenzin. Y'know he's always been sensitive." Kya added.

"I'm not sensitive!" My father pouts as he crossed his arms. I giggled. Meelo and my father are two different kinds of 'younger siblings.'

"Lyra, I would love to know more about you." Ruka said to me with a smile before glancing over at Mako. "And you as well. How did you two meet?"

Her question made me nervous. Should I exaggerate my answer? Make Mako and I sound more 'destined to be?'

We both look at each other for a second then I clear my throat. "It was almost seven years ago. My dad used to be a lot more busy with the Council so when he was away on meetings, I'd sneak out and watch the Navy Ships pass. One night, Mako and Bolin were at my usual spot and, well, the rest is pretty much is history."

"How adorable. And how long did it take for you to get together after that?" Ruka asked.

I heard Mako gulp.

The past year flashed through my mind. I realized that everything was probably fine before he met Asami. After that, everything kinda went down hill. I'm not blaming her, let's be clear. But we probably wouldn't have had so many issues if they never met. Or if Korra never came to the City. But again, I'm not blaming anyone.

"Awhile." I finally answered. "Things between us were left unsaid for quite a bit of time. But everything worked out fine."

When I felt Mako grab my hand under the table, I smiled. Everything did work out fine. He knew that too.

"What are your lives like in the City? What do you do?" She asked Mako first this time.

Confidently, he responds, "I'm a police officer."

"Sounds thrilling." Ruka wasn't just saying that to sound polite. She was actually interested. Her eyes then avert to me, "And you?"

Before I could answer, Chief Unalaq stood up from the long table further away from the main dining room. Everyone turned their heads.

"As your Chief, it is my honor to speak at this festival; which was founded to bring our Tribes together and restore the ancient balance between our world and that of the spirits. But I am saddened to see what it has become: a cheap carnival that celebrates greedy and trivial humans."

Ruka scoffs and I watch her from the corner of my eye. She crosses her arms and leans back into her chair.

"I fear the time is fast approaching when the North can no longer stand idly by while our Southern brothers slip into total spiritual decay. Angry spirits are already attacking ships in your waters. I only hope we are not too late to change course."

His speech causes a low commotion throughout the crowd. Including from Ruka.

"How dare he insult us that way. This festival is bringing us together as a family. Children are laughing and everyone is having a joyful time. I am going to have a talk with him." She pushes her chair out and as she stands up, Katara stops her. "Sit down. You'll cause a bigger scene and feed into his satisfaction."

Ruka sits back down and pouts. "I hate when you talk to me that way. I'm the big sister, not you."

Her youthful spirit stayed with her even as she aged. I relish her more for that.