08

Lyra (2)

"I still don't understand why you won't read the letter." Mako said to me.

Him and I were walking in the streets of the tribe. I could hear the crunching under my feet from the snow.

"I just haven't found the right time?" I shrugged. "I don't know, I'm nervous."

"Must my girlfriend be so complicated?" He sighed, putting his hand on his head. I playfully shoved him.

"How about we go out to dinner tonight? Just the two of us." Mako placed his arm around me and pulls me into him. "We'll read the letter together."

I nod with a smile. "I like that."

"Mako! Lyra!"

We both turn to see Bolin running toward us. "I'm so happy to see you!"

"Uh, you alright bro?" Mako asks his younger brother. Bolin shakes his head quickly. "No, no I'm not alright! I can't take it anymore! Listen, I don't want to live in icy bliss with Eska! Don't make me, please don't make me." Bolin begins to sob into Mako's chest.

"Uh, hey if you're that unhappy, just break up with her." Mako said. Bolin looks up at him with tears in his eyes. "Break up with her? You can do that?"

"Yeah. Guys do it all the time."

I cock my brow. "Oh, like it's so easy?"

"Sure it is." He responded.

"How?" Bolin asks.

"Just tell her you're not that into her anymore." Mako shrugs. I scoff, "Don't say that. Let her down easy, make her feel like she's still special."

"Look, ending a relationship is kinda like pulling off a blood sucking leech. You just gotta rip it off and get it over with." Mako advised. "You'll feel a lot better afterward, trust me."

I wave him off, "Don't listen to Romeo here. Look, you're going to take her out on a nice dinner and let her have a good time. Afterward, you'll take a long walk in the streets and talk about how nice the time you two spent together was then you'll end it with saying you think you need to go on different paths. Boom, you won't hear from her again."

"Is that what you did to that one guy Kanto? Or to Shin?" Bolin asks me innocently. I gulped. "Uh, sort of."

"Yet he's still there." Mako sarcastically smiles. I roll my eyes then pat Bolin on the back. "Just do what I said and you'll be okay."

"Thanks, Lyra. Whew, I'm lucky you're so good at breaking guys' hearts." Bolin chuckles. "Mako here better watch out."

I lightly laugh. Mako on the other hand had his arms crossed with a slight frown on his face. When Bolin noticed we were the only ones laughing, he tried to play his joke off. "Ooo, no it's just uh- y'know, uh, never mind."

"I think you should get back to your girlfriend." Mako said.

"Yes, sir." Bolin quickly scurries away.

>>>

I sat at the dinner table with my arms crossed. Next to me sat Mako and in front of us sat Bolin and the twins.

"Haha, isn't this fun, huh?" Bolin grins. "We never get to spend enough time together, just the... five of us. So fun."

The twins glance at each other before looking over at Mako and I. "Excuse us while we retrieve more sustenance." Eska said. They got up and left the table, leaving me to stop biting my tongue.

"What are you doing?" I whisper-yell to Bolin. "This is my date night. With my boyfriend."

"He's my brother." Bolin retorted. I rolled my eyes.

"I thought you were breaking up with her?" Mako asked him. I nodded. "I thought you were going to go with my advice."

"That's why I'm here!" He frowned. I shook my head, "No, no. I meant on your own date. Not on mine!"

"Then what about ripping off the leech? Did you try that?" Mako then asked.

"I did! But anytime I bring up the subject, she threatens to freeze me in a block of ice and feed me to dolphin-piranhas!"

Mako cocked his brow. "So it was more like you tugged at the leech?"

"Yes." Bolin breathed out. "Over and over and over, but it won't come off!"

I slammed my hands on the table while standing up from my seat. "Where is she?"

"What are you doing?" Bolin asked me quickly.

"If you won't do it, then I will." I stomped away from the table then looked around the room for any sign of the twins.

"That sounds like a great idea!" Bolin smiled.

"Lyra, it's Bolin's relationship. Not yours." Mako said with his hand on my shoulder.

"Well it's kinda interrupting mine." I said, pulling myself away from him. "We came here to read this stupid letter." I pull the letter out of my pocket then shove into the Mako's chest. "Which frankly, I don't even care to read anymore! So knock yourself out."

I storm out of the diner and into the cold night.

>>>

I was sitting on Mako's bed with my legs to my chest. I sat my chin on my knees as I hugged them. It was only about an hour since I dramatically left.

"There you are!" Mako exclaimed, rushing to my side. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

I practically jumped onto Mako from the bed. The impact made him fall back onto the ground, myself still in his arms. He lightly laughed as he pushed my hair back from my face.

"I'm sorry for earlier. That damn letter has just been stressing me out. Honestly, I think I was just stalling."

"It's okay." Mako kissed the tip of my nose. I scooted off of him and now we sat next to each other on the floor. "Do you want to read it now?"

I nodded slowly. "Only if you're with me."

"Of course."

Mako reaches into his pockets and seconds later, his eyes go wide. He starts to pat himself down and check himself everywhere before he groans. "I lost the letter."

I slump my shoulders down. I keep myself from frowning because I don't want to show my disappointment.

"It probably fell out while I was running around the town. I'm so sorry, Ly."

I try to play it off by shrugging. "Eh, it's my fault for taking too long to read it. Don't worry about it."

"I read it though, just in case you didn't change your mind. I remember some of it if you'd still like to know?"

I nod quickly.

Mako softly smiled while placing his hand on my knee. "Fire Lord Izumi said she'll explain everything to you in person. That's the only way to properly handle things. She also said that she's glad General Iroh found his way to you. She was relieved to know that you were doing well in Republic City and that you were happy, according to Iroh. She'll make plans to visit the city soon and meet you."