Chapter 5: Naive

"How are you, Beca? Everything okay in here?"

Phil Mitchell has come for an unfortunate visit.

"Everything was, until you came."

He sighs. He probably thinks I'm being rude as usual.

"Well, if you need any help, you know-"

I cut him off, "I'm fine, Phil. I'm just perfectly fine without your participation in my life, okay?"

"Beca, I'm just trying to visit you here."

"Of course, that's what you're good at," I chuckle bitterly. "Feel free to come and go."

"That's not what I meant."

"Well, that's how it's always been to me."

He opens his mouth to say something but he closes it immediately when nothing came out.

"I'm sorry I made you feel that way."

"Don't be. I'm kind of used to it now," I tell him firmly. "Truth is I'm just really waiting for you to walk out."

He slowly nods his head, "Okay."

He stands there for a moment staring at me. I cross my arms on my chest and match his stare. I'm not going to look away. I'm determined to show him that I'm strong enough. This time, I'm strong enough to watch him walk out. And as
expected, he does. Phil Mitchell just proved me right once again.

----------

I decided not to watch any of Stan's basketball games this season live because I can't face Phil, I can't face the step-monster, and I can't face the 'girlfriend' just yet. But I texted him to meet me up the next day at the diner outside the campus.

"Congratulations," I tell him.

He smiles.

"Thanks, kiddo."

I give him a nod.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about her
immediately. I just knew you'd react this way, but I've been meaning to tell you, I swear. I was just waiting for the right time."

I stop him.

"Right now, I don't like her, Stan."

Sadness is painted all over his face.

"I don't like her because it's always been the two of us. I feel like she's taking you away from me."

"Beca, it's not like that."

"You can't blame me. When Phil left, he took you with him."

"But I've always been there for you, haven't I?"

"It's different when you're actually here with me, Stan. I came here to Barden because of you, not because of Phil. I thought it's going to be 'Beca and Stan' against all odds all over again. But I
guess, now it's 'Stan and his girlfriend' and I feel like I have become just some kind of a minor character in your story."

"You're my sister, Beca. You'll always be a major character in my story."

I pause. Well, I'm not here to argue about what his girlfriend makes me feel like. I'm here because I decided that I should give my support to my brother. There is no turning back.

"Do you love her?"

I don't care how long they have been dating, but it took me one shower time to fall for Chloe so I guess it's possible that Stan would answer 'yes'.

"I think I love her."

"You think you love her," I repeat.

He smiles dreamily, "It's possible that she's 'the one', Beca. And I want you to meet her. Well, formally meet her as my girlfriend. That is if you want to. I'm not going to force you into that, okay?"