Chapter 8: Martyr For My Love For You

"Isn't she amazing? Chloe, I mean."

Stan smiles dreamily before shooting the

basketball into the basket. I catch the ball as I stand under the hoop. I couldn't agree more with my brother. Chloe is amazing. She's cute, adorable, friendly, charming, smart, talented... God, I am so in love with this girl. I sigh at the thought of it. Stop it, Beca! Just stop.

"She's a keeper."

And I mean it. She definitely is worth keeping. It's just so unfortunate for me that I actually have to let her go. Stan nods his head with that same I'm-so-in- love smile still plastered on his face.

"You know, every single day, I think about just how lucky I am to catch her at the right place at the right time. Remember what they say about destiny? I honestly thought it was ridiculous." He pauses to let out a laugh. "I didn't believe it, but I think it's what happened. I mean, I could have been somewhere else - the day I first met her - I don't know, I could have been... in my room, lying on my bed, or here at the gym, playing basketball... but I was out there playing some paintball. And I could have been too early, you know, that I must have left with my friends by the time she and Aubrey got there or perhaps, too late that she could have asked another guy to take that picture. But I was the one who was there... for some reason, I was there right in place and right in time to meet Chloe Beale."

I swear any woman could have fallen for that little speech that my brother just made. I never thought how romantic he could be. It's no wonder that Chloe is in love with him.

"You are such a cheeseball," I put on my best disgusted expression on my face and pass the ball back to Stan.

He laughs at my comment, "Jesse has to

seriously make you fall in love with him. Fast. Then, you can be as cheeseball as I am."

The fact is I'm in love, not with Jesse, but I'm hopelessly in love with my brother's girlfriend. I don't want him to know that so I simply roll my eyes.

"But thank you," he shoots the ball again then turns to look at me. "You've been nothing but nice to Chloe. Thank you for tolerating your cheeseball of a brother."

"Hmm," I pass the ball again.

"Kiddo, the only reason why we didn't tell you is that I know you're not going to be happy about it. You proved me right when you ran away. And I was so scared. I thought you would never speak to me again. I asked Chloe not to tell you so please don't be mad at her."

"I said I'd give her a chance, didn't I?"

He nods and smiles, then shoots the ball again and I catch it as it falls down.

"I didn't think you'd audition, and I'm still a little surprised that you actually did, but I'm really glad that you decided to join the Bellas. I think it's a good bonding for you and Chloe."

"I joined the Bellas because you convinced me to," I pass the ball to him with much force this time because I realize that if it wasn't for that stupid a capella group, I won't probably find

myself caught up in this emotional mess.

"You probably think I set you up, right?" he chuckles. Isn't that the case? He tricked me into auditioning without the knowledge that the crazy redhead is his girlfriend, so I am forced to like her. Thanks so much, Stan.

"I would never do that to you, kiddo. Plus, I wasn't expecting that I'd convinced you in the first place because I know you're just too stubborn to do it. I guess I could be very persuasive, huh?"

I scoff at him, and my brother subsequently has another goofy grin on his face. I watch him stand at the three-point section, and shoot the ball. Basket. Okay, so Stan never set me up. Of course, he's too good of a person to do that. I was wrong. He never intended for me to join the Bellas and like Chloe. It was never intentional. Damn it. Maybe it's destiny.