Chapter 11: Chasing Cars

When I wake up the next day, my head is throbbing for what I recognize as the world's worst hangover. This is what I get from drinking too much alcohol. I raise my right hand supposedly to rub my temple but I jerk when I feel the pang on my knuckles. I avert my eyes to see my right hand covered with bandages while my left hand has an IV needle attached to it.

Suddenly, I recognize the unfamiliar bed. I look around and I find myself surrounded by green curtain dividers. Shit, I'm in a hospital. This is an emergency room.

I try to recall the events that led me to this gloomy place. I remember being at the flower garden with Chloe. I remember her dancing with Stan. I remember Aubrey comforting me with a hug, but I ran away. I remember being at the lake drinking, then punching the oak tree. That explains the bandage wrapped around my right hand. I remember Chloe being there at the lake. Oh. Chloe. Now I remember everything.

All this time I thought she never noticed me but the truth is she has been secretly in love with me as well. All this time we've been secretly in love with each other. Those kisses we shared last night were magical. It could have been a happy ending for us right then and there, but then there's Stan. Chloe and I both chose Stan.

The curtain is pushed open revealing the arrival of Phil Mitchell and a nurse holding this patient's chart trailing behind him. Of all people I could see first thing after waking up, it has to be the last person I want to be with ever. Just great.

"Good, you're awake," he smiles at me. "How are you feeling, Beca?"

I simply glare at him.

"You were dehydrated that's why you were feeling weak and passed out," he explains. "And the bleeding on your hand was pretty bad. You broke some bones as well. Good thing Chloe brought you here in time."

Chloe. Of all places that she could have taken me, it has to be the hospital that Phil owns. Where is she anyway?

"I'm going home," I announce, detaching

carelessly the IV needle from my hand then jumping out of bed.

"Wait," Phil blocks my way, but I push him.

I take some cash out of my pocket and throw them to the nurse, "I don't have enough cash with me right now, but I'll pay you as soon as possible."

"You don't have to pay, Beca."

"But I want to," I tell Phil and start to walk away. "I can't afford to owe you anything."

Phil grabs my arm and spins me around to face him.

"What do you want, Phil?" I scream at him.

"I want you to forgive me!" he exclaims, and I stop in surprise. "I want you to call me 'dad'. I want you to welcome me back to your life, Beca."

I stare into his eyes and I see the anguish, the appeal, and the anticipation. For a moment, I think about backing down and letting him in. He almost got me there. But no, he's not going to fool me again.

"I'm going home," I forcefully jerk off his hand then walk away.

-------

I push the door and let myself out of the

emergency room. I stop and look around. Now what? I don't have a car and I don't have cash. I guess I'm going to walk back to Barden.

"Beca!" Chloe runs to me and I wait for her.

When she finally stands by my side, she takes my hands on hers and examines them both. I like her touch. It feels like it's going to heal everything in my life. "You're left hand is bleeding."