Chapter 13: Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

I make my way to the old and abandoned swimming pool where the riff-off competition usually takes place to meet up with Aubrey. Two days ago, she called me up and we had this little conversation.

"How may I help you, Miss Posen?" I cheerfully answer the call.

I know she just rolled her eyes, "Meet me up."

"Where? When? Why?"

"Too many questions, Beca."

"Maybe you would like to answer them, Aubrey."

I hear her sigh, "Old swimming pool. 8pm, sharp. One more surprise."

"What do you mean 'one more surprise'?"

I notice the only question I haven't asked is 'how' aside from the 'who' which is pretty much obvious already.

"It's called a 'surprise' for a reason, idiot."

"How is it a surprise?" There I asked it. "A hint, maybe?"

"Well," her voice trails off. "You know I at least admitted that I'm going to miss you, dork. So how about you also admit that you had a great time in Barden?"

Before I open my mouth to respond, she hurriedly adds, "I just thought I'd remind you of pretty much what you're going to miss about Barden."

I let out a sigh then smile against the phone, "Okay. I'll be there."

I take a quick look at my watch and it says 7:58 . I hope I'm not late for Aubrey's standard time. I move two to three more steps forward and I can already see Aubrey's back facing me. Wow, she's really this punctual. I quietly take a seat next to her at the edge of the pool, now my feet dangles along with hers.

"So," I start. "What are we going to do at 8pm sharp?"

She turns to look at me, her lips quiver so I know she's nervous about something.

"Are you okay?" I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Yeah," she answers a little too quickly and laughs in apprehension.

I sigh, "Okay, if you say so."

I hear her mumbling to herself as she looks around the vicinity as if anticipating for something or someone but I just couldn't make out the words so I'm not really sure.

"Are we waiting for Jesse?" I ask her.

"No."

"Are you going to throw me some sort of a sendoff party?"

"Not exactly."

Hmm. Not exactly. Interesting. She abruptly turns to me and hands me this tiny envelope, "Here."

Curiously, I hold on to it, trying to inspect the white material.

"Look, I'm not going to apologize for what is about to happen," she looks at me intently. "I just can't let you leave without closure, so I say to you as a friend, please just try and enjoy the night, Beca."

What the hell is 'about to happen'? I feel my heartbeat going faster as I am about to open the envelope and pull the card out to read whatever is in there but she stops me immediately.

"Don't open it yet. We still have to wait for her."

Her ? Who's her? Fat Amy? Stacie? Cynthia Rose? Who? I flash this puzzled look on my face until my mind finally connects the dots. My eyes grow wide and my jaw drops. Damn it. It's

Chloe! It has to be Chloe! I should have asked the 'who' during the phone conversation. I should have known.

"Aubrey!" I shoot her this 'how could you do this!' look with the combination of a look saying 'you know you shouldn't have!'