Chapter 9

"This one looks nice." Clint handed me another grey sweater, this one had a pug print on it with a turkey leg in it's mouth. Clint predicted earlier that the luna and alpha would just disappear because the Phoebe goes crazy about new clothes so he took the liberty of breaking off from them first and into the first clothes store we saw. 

This is about the 4th sweater he handed to me and I was starting to sense a theme. All four had some sort of dog on it and were all sort of plain colors like gray, blue, white. I just held them, letting Clint pick out my clothes since I had no idea where to start in this store. 

The pile just kept getting bigger as I followed Clint around, but it let me look around the store as Clint made all my decisions for me. 

Then I saw it.

The most beautiful pair of burgundy red boots with bright yellow stitches and black laces and it seemed to go about mid-calf. It looked a little edgy and a little homey at the same time. I've seen my old alpha give his niece a pair of boots like those, which she rejected immediately and they were thrown in the trash because the were 'too cheap'. But I was so envious.

"Now let's try them on." Clint gently patted my back, gently pushing me in the direction of the dressing rooms. I was so distracted by the boots I didn't even notice him get behind me. "I'll look around some more. So just try all that on and keep the ones you like." As soon as the dressing room door closed I heard his footsteps depart. 

After changing, unchanging, and rechanging, I've picked out a couple pairs of leggings, one pair of jeans, a few of the sweaters, and a few of the blouses. It may seem like a lot but Clint gave me so much to choose from it was ridiculous. 

I left the changing rooms to see Clint standing just outside with a bag in his hand and his phone in the other. But as soon as he sensed I was there he snatched up all the things in my hands and payed for every single item. 

"How much were they?" I asked, my voice sounding a bit stronger than usual. 

"Don't worry about it." He answered bluntly, taking up my hand again and in his other held a bunch of the bags. "What other things do you need?" He asked, seemingly uninterested in visiting other stores. I was pretty satisfied with the purchases we made so he decided to get me a proper coat then my nightmare happened. "Let's get you some underwear." 

He made it seem so casual.

That we were just going to buy underwear. 

That I'm going to wear.

That he's probably going to pick out.

I felt my face catch on fire, my cheeks flaminning with embarrassment. But Clint seemed to notice this and he chuckled. A full, dead-on, chuckle. 

"Don't worry, we'll have the clerks help you. I don't know anything about finding girl's underwear." He pulled my hand towards a different direction, once again adopting a more serious expression but his eyes seem to have a little more life. 

That gave me some comfort, that was quickly destroyed when Phoebe and Axel walked out of another shop. Axel had arm fulls of bags while Phoebe was wearing a big smile on her perfect face. 

"Oh there you guys are!" She beamed, prancing over to us all giddy, "I thought we lost you two." She didn't seem to notice that Clint and I were holding hands, but Axel sure as hell noticed since his eyes seemed to be glued to our hands. "Were you guys able to find everything you needed." 

I was back to staring at the ground and not speaking, my heart was hammering again and I'm sure everyone in the entire mall could hear it right now. But a quick squeeze on my hand was all I needed to tell me that someone was here for me. I gave Clint a squeeze back and it might have been my imagination but I thought I heard someone growl. 

"Yes luna, but right now we are headed to some more stores to find Mable some underwear." That seemed to set something off in Axel, since his knuckles turned pure white as he gave the bag handles death-grips. "We'll meet you in the food court later." Clint noticed this reaction and tried to lead us away.

Key word, tried. 

Axel dropped some of the bags, freeing one of his hands which quickly grabbed onto Clint's shirt collar and pulled him so that their faces were inches from each other. I was yanked too, considering I was still holding onto Clint for support. But I was quick to gather myself, enough to see Axel's burning bright blue eyes that were attracting a lot of unwanted attention. 

Even though this town is populated by only werewolves, when someone eyes' glow that's just a spark for rumors among packs that just creates unwanted drama. 

"Axel!" Phoebe cried, running over to him and trying to pry his arm off Clint. 

Axel's murderous eyes were glaring at Clint. His fist getting tighter and tighter as his teeth were out and visible, giving everyone a clear view of his growing canines. 

My heart was beating faster than ever and my lungs were getting tighter and tighter. I felt another squeeze on my hand but it wasn't enough to help my short and desperate breaths. I was starting to see black spots again. 

Phoebe's yelling was getting muffled, not that I could hear her voice over my echoing heartbeat and the world just seem to freeze.

"Clint." I mumbled, taking both of my hands and clutching onto his like it would help me but that just seemed to fuel Axel's rage. So in my desperation I tried something else, "Axel, please stop." 

In an instant Axel's eyes travel to my pathetic trembling form and they softened, no longer glowing. He loosened his hold and dropped his arm lifelessly by his side and continued to stare at me. 

Clint took this opportunity to swoop his arm from my hands and around my thighs, lifting me up and sprinting away. I managed to look behind me to see Axel frozen in his place while Phoebe stared at him with mixed emotions in her eyes. 

The bystanders noticed the drama was over and went about their business, seeing how alphas acting out was a norm around here.