Chapter 23

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

I can't make these kinds of decisions. 

I kept staring up at Caleb, watching his eyes stare deep into my soul. It was so intense that I felt my legs go numb. 

"I-I." I stuttered, feeling my head go fuzzy. I swayed a little in his arms, bumping his chest lightly over and over again.

"Ma-" Caleb started but his voice quickly went fuzzy as I flopped onto his chest with the world going in and out of darkness.

The last thing I could hear was lound shuffling before my whole body went numb.

I couldn't hear anything and my eyelids felt like they weighed a hundred pounds each. My body felt like it was being lifted up, and my head rolled to the side into a hard chest that had a loud heartbeat.

It was sort of calming. 

So, so calming.

"You're sooo comfortable." I mumbled, not hearing a response but light vibrations coming from whoever was holding me made me feel fuzzy inside. I giggled a little, snuggling deeper into the warmth. "So, so, comfortable." 

+++

Axel

"So, so, comfortable." She nuzzled her face into my shirt. A goofy smile was on her face as she drifted off to sleep. 

I was able break through the guards and reach her and Caleb who did put much of a fight when I pulled her away from him as she was about to pass out. She was about to fall into his arms and that was unacceptable. 

"I've got you," I whispered, holding her tightly as the guards surrounded us as well as Caleb. 

"Release her, Axel. Do not be foolish." My 200 year old great grandfather pushed through the wall of guards, staring at me with his classic heartless gaze. "She is going to the island like the rest of the black wolves." 

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Caleb get stiffer. He was the alpha of the whole island but all alphas know it's just away to get black wolves out of sight and out of mind. Now that I think about it it is utterly disgusting on how we treat black wolves. They are suppose to be the direct descendants of the Lunar Wolves and here we are treating them like cattle. 

"She isn't going anywhere." I growled, loud enough to make Len flinch but not enough to wake my sleeping mate. "She is staying here, on my territory." 

"Such 'things' will not be on my land." He scowled, "I was tolerate enough to accept that half-breed but a full blooded black wolf is unacceptable." 

How dare he.

"How dare you speak of my mother like that." If I wasn't holding my mate I would have ripped off his head straight his shoulder. "If my father was here he would be disgusted by you." 

"Your father was a fool," my grandfather scoffed, "But he came around eventually." He shuffled through his jacket pocket, pulling out a small vial of what smells like wolfsbane. His scent was masking it earlier but as soon as he pulled out the cork the smell was so intense it made my head hurt.

"What is that?" I never smelled wolfsbane this intense. 

"Liquid silver with a hint of wolfsbane, the perfect mixture for a black wolf." He hid is nose behind his jacket sleeve, "I had your father add a drop of this to your mother's food after you were born." 

"W-what?" My father would never hurt my mother, he wouldn't even dare to touch her with malicious intent. "You're lying." 

"No, no, no," Len popped the cork back on and tossed it back into his pocket, "I'm not, I assure you." He smiled, something that sent chills down my spine and made my unconsciously hold my mate closer, "It will kill that wretched woman in due time then your father can mate with a proper wolf." 

"You're disgusting." I growled louder, feeling my mate shift in my arms, leaning even closer to me than before. I have to end this soon and get her far, far away from this deranged man. "My father would never hurt my mother."

"You're right, he wouldn't," Len stalked closer to me, "But he was so naive in believing me that this was helping her." He laughed, actually laughed, and it was bone chilling.

But I was rendered speechless. 

I couldn't think straight at all.

How am I related to this monster?

"I think that's enough Brinks." Caleb stepped up, walking towards him until he was hovering over him with a terrifying glare. "I will take Mable out of your filthy territory and far away from you. But-" His arm shot out, latching on to his neck and lifting him off his feet effortlessly. "You should weary of us." 

Wait.

Take her? 

He can't do that.

He will not do that.

"No!" I snarled, my jaw grew tender as a sign that my canines were coming out. "You will not take my mate!" I held her like my life depended on it, hearing her small whimpers in her slumber signaled for me to loosen my grip. 

"Axel." Caleb turned around slowly, the already cold outdoors turning freezing. I could see my own breath, and Mable started shivering violently but still was out could. "Give her to me." He opened his arms, signaling for me to pass her. 

"N-no." My body started moving on its own. My muscles straining to take control as my eyes began to water with the strain from trying to resist it. I grit my teeth, closing my eyes and trying to pull away from him but my arms were pushing forward, my mate's whimpering at the lack of warmth while she wrapped herself in her arms. 

"She'll be safe with me," he took her, right from me, without any hesitation, "I promise you." He gave me a small look of pity before turned around, my mate no longer visible from where I stood. 

The guards parted like the Red Sea, my great grandfather smirking at me in victory.

But seeing my defeated form, his smile faltered, walking over to me as my arms were frozen in place, still sticking in front of me like I was a statue. He patted my shoulder, something he used to do when I was little when I did something he was proud of. 

"This was for the best Axel," he spoke, his voice quiet but not at all remorseful, "This was for the best."