Chapter 15, Axel

"I don't think I'll ever be luna." A broken voice stopped me from entering the room where my mother was. My mother was in no health to be out of her room yet here she was in my mate's room. "Besides, I don't think I'm staying here much longer." 

Why would she say that? 

My stomach felt like it was churning at the thought of her going far from the pack house again. Everytime I'm  not watching her I feel like she's in danger. 

Then just make her you luna.

My own conscience was bothering me about that. 

If she becomes my official luna, the pack would protect her for me. I wouldn't have to worry to much about her because the whole pack would keep an eye on her. I can speak from experience since every single time my mom went out when I was young, almost a dozen pack members would follow her around, fearing for their luna's health and safety. 

I would say the same for Phoebe, but for some reason everybody has some sort of vendetta against her. I usually have to order some guards to follow her around school and her little shopping adventures. 

"You can't leave!" A high-pitch, very loud voice broke through my thoughts. I think that was Rachel, Brennon always spoke fondly of her but since she's still 15 we won't know if they are mates yet. "We need you here!"

There was something inaudible, my mate's broken and muffled voice sounded like she was crying while being hugged. 

Something inside me broke, listening to those muffled sobs. I tried to walk away, but my feet were growing roots in the floor every second I was there. 

"I can't stay here any longer!" There was a cry, not as loud as you would think but it echoed in my mind, constantly haunting me with such ferocity. "I can't stay here and be rejected again!"

"He's not going to reject you again," My mom's voice came out clear and full of the crisp authority she usually has, "Right son?"

My whole form stiffened, my hands actually started to feel clammy. 

Of course my mother can sense me, being half white-wolf she's always had her own 6th sense. Feeling like this was a good time to finally enter, seeing something that just ripped the heart out of my chest.

My mate's teary face.

Her usually pale face was a little flush, especially in her soft-looking cheeks and her adorable button nose was particularly pink. Her thick lashes were glistening with her tears and her deep dark locks with its natural waves made her look like a living doll. 

I walked just close enough to see her clearly. Her plump pouty lip was trembling, probably from fear. Her whole form was actually shaking, but she was clutching her hands together. 

I tried to look in her in those hazel eyes that seem almost golden, but she was avoiding my gaze, just staring at her hands as they shook violently. 

Something deep down inside me wanted to just hug her and hide her away from the world, but the rest of me was frozen. 

"Hello Axel," My mom finally spoke after a while of silence, "Can you watch Miss Vennett while Rachel and I go find Brennon who is taking quite a while with her meal?" My mother got up and took Rachel, holding her arm and walking away with a sly smile on her face.