Chapter 3

He was conscious, at least he thinks he is. He didn't really know. Still in darkness, but he felt nothing, no cold, no warmth. He took a step and evidently there was ground but just as black the entire place. He stopped and began to ponder where he was, trying not to panic. A flicker of warm light, he broke his train of thought and looked behind him and saw something like a film. He turned to face it and walked closer. A little light blue fox, attempting to stand on a small stepping stool, holding Christmas lights. Wearing baggy shorts and a big gray shirt, a heart necklace and his little face covered with black freckles.

"Is that..." Alamere hesitated, so confused as to what was happening. The little fox lost his balance and quickly jumped off the stepping stool and landing on the ground, teetering and the lights falling on his head, his balance wobbly and he slumped on the ground and laughed playfully.

"...Me?" he knew the answer, this was his memory. His seventh Christmas and his last one with his Mama and Dad. He watched it unfold in front of him, like the unwrapping of presents. His Mama came out in the memory and sat beside the small Alamere and laughed as she untangled the lights from him. He watched and looked down, his ears drooped and his eyes saddened. The memory continued to play.

"You were so happy." A gentle voice spoke behind him. He spun around quickly, to see His Mama. His eyes widened with surprise.

"I remember this, you wanted to put up the lights yourself. I'll never forget that." she said warmly, her paws intertwined in front of her, careful not to crease her simple black and white dress. Her light blue fur groomed and aqua green eyes seemed to bring out the sorrow in his heart.

"Mama- how are you here? Why?" he wanted to cry. She walked up to him, he hesitated, wanting nothing more than to hug her once again but he was still confused as to what was happening, how she was here, why he was her, why that memory was playing like a film in the darkness. Was he dreaming? Was he dead? His mind swirled with questions. She opened her arms, inviting him. He stood there holding his breath for a moment then exhaled and rushed in her arms and let go, tears streamed, today sure was a rough day. So much tears but he couldn't help it, this time of the year brought it out of him. She held him gently, stroking his head softly and hushed him quietly and consoled him. At that moment, Alamere felt the warmth of someone else, he glanced to his side, peering out of his Mama's arms. There he was, the fox he always looked up to, the one he hoped to make him proud of him. His orange fur and black tipped ears and his sapphire eyes, wearing a white button up long sleeve, a pink striped tie.

"Dad, I missed you, I missed you guys so much." Alamere croaked. Fin wrapped his paws around his wife, Tanya and his son and they held each other.

"I'm so glad to see you again, my lil Al." he whispered. Alamere choked back a tearful laugh.

"I'm not so little anymore." he stated. Fin wiped his tears away.

"We needed to talk to you." Fin softly spoke. Alamere wiped the rest of tears and sniffled. He let go and listened.

"You've been missing out on Christmas for 14 years." Tanya said firmly. Alamere looked down in slight shame.

"We want you to spend the holidays happy, Al." Fin placed his paw on his shoulder.

"It's just not the same without you. I'd feel guilty celebrating and being happy without you guys." he muttered quietly.

"Well yes, we may not be there but as your parents, we want you to be happy." Tanya said happily.

"With the special mammals in your life, we know you're not alone, I'm sure they'd love to celebrate with you." Fin finished. Alamere fiddled with his paws.

"I- well... Oh my gosh." he stuttered and placed his face in his paws.

"I'm such an idiot, I should have thought of that." he said in defeat. Fin and Tanya exchanged a warm glance to one another.

"You can still go out there and celebrate, we know you love Christmas, despite what you tell others." Tanya stated. Alamere looked at them silently and nodded in agreement, smiling slightly. They hugged him once more.

"I love you guys." his whispered. They hugged tightly and spoke words of affection. The darkness began to fade rapidly. Reality was here and he woke up.