Chapter 4

Alamere gasped and shivered violently. He was buried deep in the snow. Cold and without a jacket, his teeth began to chatter, he scraped the snow away and burrowed out and gasped for more air as he reached the surface. He breathed heavily and realized his photo wasn't with him and he frantically dug through the snow and found it. He sighed in relief. He placed it in his pocket and shimmied out of the snow. Clutching his shoulders, shivering, he walked out of the forest, onto the road to the nearest market store. He pushed the door open and a small jingle rang. Warmth rushed over him but his body was still adjusting to the heat. He saw a dingo at the check out desk, sucking on a candy cane. His amber eyes fixated on a holiday magazine, he was humming along to a song on the P.A. system. He knew this dingo, his name was Toby and he was a real laid back sweetheart, and was a bit of a rapper. He walked up to Toby slowly letting go of his arm as he was getting warmer.

"Hey Toby." Alamere said softly. Toby lit up, set his magazine and whipped out his candy cane.

"Hey there brutha! Long time no see. Whatcha been up to?" Toby asked cheerful.

"Oh well not much, I kinda need your help." Alamere said hesitantly. He didn't know if his half-cooked plan would work. He wanted to show his friends that he had changed his ways.

"Sure nuff' whaddya need?" Toby complied quickly, he rested his elbow on the counter and the other paw rested on his hip and he leaned on the counter, eager to help.

"Well I- I dunno how to go about this but- how do I- where do I even start." Alamere was becoming more agitated trying to explain his situation. Toby still smiling, raised his paw to demand silence. Alamere gaped for a second but shut his mouth and waited.

"Alright start from the beginning, why do you need help?" Toby asked calmly. Alamere furrowed his eyebrows and thought carefully about what he wanted to say.

"Well I guess I just wanted to celebrate Christmas again, after 14 years." he strained the last part, waiting for a disgusted look from Toby but nothing, he wasn't phased by it.

"Mhm and why did you stop? What made you want to celebrate once again." he asked slowly. Alamere looked at him and felt a pit in his stomach. It had almost felt like something was trying to block the words he wanted to say, he hated pity but he knew shoving everything down like an overflowing trash can was wrong. He inhaled and exhaled. Toby still smiled warmly. Alamere studied him for a second ad decided to express himself.

"Well back when I was seven, I celebrated my last Christmas with my parents. They died later next year and I just- I couldn't bring myself to celebrate without them. I felt so-" he hesitated, the gut feeling driving him crazy but he was determined to press on. Toby smile wasn't as grand anymore but more sympathetic yet he waited patiently for Alamere to finish.

"I felt so alone... I felt like if I celebrated without them, they'd be upset that I'm out having fun without them." he slowly drifted away, his ears drooped and he looked down in shame. Toby nodded.

"I see, but now what?" he asked patiently. Alamere didn't look up but he continued.

"Now I realize, that they'd want me to be happy. It's what they've wanted from the beginning and I feel like such an idiot for moping on the holidays instead of cherishing their memories and celebrating with the mammals I love today!" he nearly wailed. Toby smiled bigger and sighed and stood tall.

"So what do you wanna do about it?" he asked. Alamere felt a fire within him, something like passion, he had to show his Christmas cheer.

"I wanna show my Christmas spirit and- Well I don't know what to do after that." Alamere's voice faltered, the passion slightly dying when he didn't have a clue on what else do to.

"Well I might have an idea 'bout that second part. As for spirit, we have holiday sweaters." Alamere whipped his head towards Toby, a twinkle of excitement in his eyes.

"Where!?" he slammed his paws on the table. Toby suppressed a laugh and pointed,

"Aisle two." Alamere rushed over and scanned the sweaters, shades of pinks, blues, greens, reds and whites. He skimmed a rack or two.

"So what's your idea?" Alamere yelled across the aisles as he glided one hangar to the other. Toby picked up the magazine and flipped through the pages and landed on an ad.

"There's this bazaar thing with music from people who sign up. Brutha I know you can slam a jam. I've heard you sing." Toby scanned the ad some more.

"Well what does it say?" Alamere yelled back. He tried on a sweater that said SANTA BABE, covered in Pink and magenta stripes, he looked in disgust and slipped it off.

"Well it's one of the bazaar's event, it's called "Christmas Karaoke Bash" You sign up, it starts at 7 P.M. and ends at 9 P.M." Toby read off the ad. Alamere's eyes were fixated on the sweaters, none catching his eyes but he was attentively listening to Toby.

"What time is it now?" Alamere yelled back, his eyes landed on a green sweater that said PASS THE 'NOG, with a cup of eggnog in the center, Alamere silently celebrated for his find.

"7:30 P.M. so you better high tail on outta here." Toby said nonchalantly. Alamere slipped the sweater of the hanger and rushed to the check out and paid, in a hurry he stopped at the door. He hesitated and looked back at Toby, sucking his candy cane, reading his magazine. A thought crossed his mind.

"Toby... what are you doing for Christmas?" Alamere asked hesitantly. Toby slightly stiffened but played it off.

"Oh, well ya know... Eat, holiday movies and sleep, the usually." Toby said casually. Alamere looked in sympathy.

"Alone?" he nearly whispered, his voice cracking.

"Well, yeah. My family lives in Eurotasia. I moved here." he almost strained to keep his composure. At that moment Alamere made a decision.

"Close up shop, we're goin' out!" Alamere declared, filled with determination. Toby looked up slightly stunned.

"Wha- wait what? I can't just- I mean I can." he stuttered.

"Great then lets go!" Alamere slipped the sweater on.

"Doesn't mean I should, but okay." he muttered and grabbed the store keys.

"So... what's the plan?" Toby asked as he began to lock up.

"We..." Alamere paused for dramatic effect as he waited for Toby to finish locking up.

"... are gonna to do a duet." Alamere said slyly.