Chapter 9

Alessandra's POV

With a few yells for help the training room was soon filled with Shadowhunter's who immediately took the beasts body away to be examined. Max had brought me into a random bedroom in the Institute where Alec, Izzy, and their father were all sitting slightly on the bed. Nobody in the room spoke as the family members quickly drew some runes onto Alec's skin.

"Are you hurt?" Max asked.

"I'm fine" I reassured. "Just a few bumps and bruises"

"It would appear I owe you a great deal of gratitude" Robert stated. "You saved my son's life when he was unable to protect himself. We Lightwood's will forever be in debt to you"

"It's no problem sir" I smiled. "I know that any of your children would've done the same for me. You have raised three amazing people, and I will forever be in debt to all of you for the help you've given my sister and I since we met"

"You'll make a fine Shadowhunter one day Alessandra" Robert said. "You already prove an asset in battle with just a mere few training lessons"

"Again that's thanks to your children" I laughed. "If Max and Alec hadn't offered to teach me a few things I would've been screwed"

I didn't feel the need to stay in the room longer than necessary as I didn't want to intrude on their family time. After exchanging a few more words with Robert I excused myself. I had to try find Clary, find out if Simon is okay.

As I rushed down one of the many halls in the Institute I felt an hand gently grab my wrist from behind so that I would stop walking. Turning around I was instantly met by the sight of Max.

"Are you crazy?" Max asked.

"Yes" I replied. "Most days anyways"

"You fought a forsaken alone Alessandra" Max stated. "That's a big deal. I know this world isn't something you want to be apart of so I don't want you to feel obligated to help"

"I don't feel obligated" I disagreed. "Your brother is my friend, and I would do anything for my friends. If I ran for help he could've died, then I would never be able to live with myself"

"And what if you had gotten hurt?" Max questioned. "I trust your ability to protect yourself, but how do you think the rest of us would be been able to go on if that had played out differently?"

"You cannot make your life about the loss" I responded. "You have to make it about the love. If that had played out differently then I wouldn't have died with many regrets"

"You told me once that you wanted to graduate college, that you wanted to get your degree" Max said. "I can't let anything happen to you before that happens"

"I don't want you to feel obligated to protect me" I argued. "I get that it may be part of your job or whatever but I don't now, and nor do I ever want to become a burden"

"I would protect you whether it was my job or not" Max added. "You're not a burden, and I don't feel obligated. I just need you to promise me you won't do something like that again"

"I can't make you a promise when I don't even know if I'll be able to keep it" I shrugged. "If it comes down to it I would protect you before I would protect myself"

"That's not how this works" Max sighed.

"Let's not turn this into a fight" I complained. "I much rather prefer the flirting to the fighting"

"That's not what was happening" Max replied.

"Then in that case I'll be intrigued to find out how a Shadowhunter does flirt" I joked.