Chapter 15

Alessandra's POV

As Addison and I exited the portal we were immediately met by the sight of Valentine, who stood in front of us both on the ships deck all healed up from his arrow wound.

"It certainly took the both of you a while to follow behind us" Valentine stated. "What was the hold up?"

"It turns out that mom is very persistent on the idea of killing the two of us" I said. "She put up a bigger fight when you left"

"It's funny" Valentine smirked. "How good of a liar you seem to be Alessandra. It's just rather unfortunate that it won't work on me. Addison, care to explain what happened after I left?"

"Trust works both ways Valentine" I replied. "When you start being honest with me perhaps I'll return the favour. But until then I owe you nothing"

"You're certainly a fiery one aren't you?" Valentine questioned. "I understand your frustrations with me which is why I won't push you for answers, that is for today at least"

"Has Nathaniel returned yet?" I asked. "We didn't see him around before we came back through the portal"

"He arrived a few moments before the both of you" Valentine nodded. "He's waiting upstairs"

"And Jace?" I questioned. "Where is he?"

"Jonathan still has much to learn" Valentine sighed. "Unlike you, he hasn't proven to me that I can trust him just yet. So for now he hasn't earned the privilege of freedom"

"I want to see him" I responded.

"You can see him after you've rested" Valentine argued. "We've a long week ahead of us. Addison take Alessandra upstairs with you, make sure she's comfortable"

Addison merely nodded in response as she grabbed my arm gently and guided me away from Valentine and through the ship towards her bedroom. I wanted to fight Valentine on being able to see Jace but I knew it wouldn't get me anywhere. I was beginning to earn Valentine's trust, and I have to build on that trust if I'm ever going to be able to escape from here.

Arriving at her bedroom, Addison pushed the door open softly and sighed in annoyance as she kicked off some of the gear she had been wearing. Just like Valentine had said, Nathaniel was here waiting for the both of us. I watched in silence as Nathaniel lay on the bed, his fingers tapping across his phone quickly.

"Is the mundane okay?" I asked. "Were you able to call for help?"

"I called" Nathaniel responded. "I didn't wait around to see if anybody showed up to help or not"

"Seriously?" I questioned. "Why wouldn't you wait? It's not like they would've been able to see you and question you on what happened"

"I was rather preoccupied" Nathaniel chuckled. "I got to meet an acquaintance of yours, I must say he isn't very polite, rather quite hostile if anything"

Nathaniel pulled my phone from his pocket and flashed the screen in my direction, showing a picture that he had taken. It only took a single look to realise who Nathaniel was referring to.

My eyes locked onto a small blade laying on Addison's bedside table, and I instantly grabbed it. I held the blade tightly in my hand as I quickly pinned Nathaniel down onto the bed, holding the blade close to his throat. The action only gained another sigh of annoyance from Addison.

"What did you do?" I questioned. "I swear if you even touched him I'm going to make you regret the day you were born"

"The two of you are so alike" Nathaniel laughed. "I see that Lightwood must've taught you all his tricks, I must say that's very endearing, you make a lovely couple"