Chapter Twelve- Too much

I'm sorry

[...]

Will's PoV

The doctor said that I'm doing well, that I'm improving quite rapidly- Freddie was ecstatic when I told him the news. He's been helping me at home, although his family life has been quite busy recently.

We started GET a month ago- a structured exercise programme that gradually increases how long I can do exercise, focussing on swimming and walking mainly. Doctor Drevin says that I should, "be careful" and "not do too much at once".

It's a gradual process, he says, but I can't help wanting to do more! Once I was able to walk, I've been restless in bed; restless when I'm sitting; even restless when I'm sleeping!

I feel almost normal again.

Coughing slightly, due to the foggy air, I walk down the icy path- an irritated stitch in my side from the frequent movement.

For the first time since I got ill, I'm walking without the help of my family or Freddie; so far it's going well. I found out Freddie's address from Megan, so I'm on my way to surprise him (his house is relatively close to mine).

The ground is somewhat difficult to stand on- a test of my fitness and balance. Fatigue swells up in my weak bones, but I just ignore the pain and carry on walking- I need to do this.

I need to get better.

School starts tomorrow and I'm determined to show mum that I'm ready.

She thinks I'm weak, but I'm not! I hate it when she looks at me like I'm  broken; like I'm bruised; like I'm bloody fragile-

As I turn the corner, I slip on a thin sheet of black ice-

Crack.

My foot bends backwards, and my bones snap easily; my battered arms sliding in front of my face to protect it.

Tears well up in my eyes, a weak whimper filled with pain escaping me. My aching hands reach into my pocket and grasp my phone. I call the first person I can think of: Freddie.

Ring Ring
Ring Ring
Ring Ring
Ring Ring

"Hello"
"Freddie I need-"
"I can't answer the phone right now,  if it's important please leave a message after the beep. Thank you, bye!"

Another cry of agony leaves my lips, my body freezing up on the cold ground. My lips are blue and chapped- my arms red and bleeding. My legs hurt; the pain in my leg becoming simply unbearable.

I go to reach for my phone again, to call for an ambulance, but my fingers tense up and refuse to move. I'm stuck, laying on a thin path- the gentle hum of a car growing louder and closer.

The screeching of tires- an unrestrained gasp- murmuring- someone talking- my throat closing up-

I can't hear; I can't see; I can't brea-