Part 22

It was so frustrating to Zayn to watch Harry go in and out of the kitchen, back and forth, when Thursday came around. For some reason, Harry had gone from not too thrilled of having Liam and Niall over to actually being way too excited for their visit. He had found all the ingredients in Patricia's kitchen and started making fresh brownies. Zayn didn't even know he knew how to make those.

"I'm not going to deny it smells good." Zayn told him from the kitchen entrance. "But why are you going through the trouble?"

He sat an empty tray on the counter. "It's not trouble. It's something good. I don't know Liam that well and this might help get things started off on the right foot."

Zayn gave him a confused look. "I really don't think it will matter though."

"You'd be surprised." Now he walked past Zayn out of the kitchen.

"Now where are you going?"

"We have some stuff at home to make fresh lemonade and I'm going to bring it back."

"What? Harry!"

But Harry was already going out into the backyard and heading toward the fence. He came back a few minutes later, clutching everything he said he needed. Then he checked on the batch of brownies that was baking in the oven. Zayn was still watching him.

"Are you going to explain to me why you feel this sudden urge to make treats?"

"I told you why. To get off on the right foot. It might help me really see his good side."

"So you like him now?"

"Not quite. I like what you said he could be and I want to see for myself. That's all."

"And that's why you're so unusually giddy today?"

He chuckled. "No. I'm giddy because I spent two days in the hospital over the weekend. I have energy to burn. So why not spend it baking brownies and making lemonade for your friends? I think it's a good use of energy."

Just as Zayn got ready to reply, the doorbell rang. He left the kitchen and went to the front door. When he opened it, he expected to see Liam and Niall there only. But he got a suprise when he saw Louis standing with them too. What was he doing here?

He backed out of the way and was momentarily distracted by Niall and Liam holding hands. He had to admit. Now that he knew who Liam really was, they looked so cute together.

"What is this wonderful smell I'm smelling?" Niall asked, pulling Liam along.

"Harry." Zayn sighed. Niall got ready to say something else but Zayn put a hand up and stopped him. "Don't ask."

Louis came in next and Zayn noticed his demeanor was somewhat distant. But not enough to make Zayn uncomfortable. He closed the door and locked it behind them, then followed them into the kitchen where naturally, Niall wanted to find the source of the smell. Louis, though, went on to the living room instead.

"What are you making, Harry?" Niall asked.

He was stiring a pitcher full of lemonade. "Something sweet and delicious." His eyes went down to Niall and Liam's hands but then back to the lemonade.

"Really? Like what?"

"Brownies."

"From the box?"

"Nope. Homemade. But they're not ready yet. They'll be done in about two minutes. Go get comfortable or something."

Niall's eyes lit up at the thought of chocolate and he dragged Liam out of the kitchen and toward the living room. Zayn followed them.