Part 24

It had been nearly a week since Niall gave Zayn the number to Sydney's cellphone. He had been wanting to call but he was upset that she'd been trying to make friends with his friends and wanted to wait until the feeling of anger subsided. However, five days later, his feelings remained somewhere around the same.

It was Saturday. So there was no school which meant nothing to destract him from thinking about all the things that ever happened to him in regards to her. Nothing to take his mind off of the night he decided having sex without protection would be okay. Nothing to take his mind away from the little girl that was almost his, but that he lost. So it was all he thought about.

And the more he thought about it, the more he realized that even with the things she told him that day by the river, there was so much that he still didn't know. If getting her number was a sign, maybe this was his chance to talk to her. Maybe it was his chance to put everything behind him once and for all. He could only hope so.

When he finally picked up the phone to call her, she was execited to hear his voice and was ready to talk. But instead of talking on the phone, he set up a meeting place instead. That's why he found himself sitting in the Italian Pizzeria and waiting for her to meet him here.

The smell of meats and cheeses was everywhere, making him hungry. So he decided that he'd order something to drink now and probably some food after she got there. A few minutes later, he was sipping on a root beer. His phone sounded a notification and he picked it up to see who it was. It was Sydney.

S- I'm here. Are you?

Z- Yeah. Last table in the back. Can't miss it.

S- Okay! :D

Zayn stuffed the phone back in his pocket and went back to his drink. Seconds later, he heard heels knocking against the floor and looked over to see Sydney walking toward him. She was wearing black four inch heels with a thick sole, red fitting skinny jeans and a purple top that flared as she walked. She did look nice but he couldn't believe she dressed up for this.

"Heels?"

She sat down across from him and gave him the biggest smile. "It's our first time meeting properly in three years. This is a special occasion."

"I guess you can call it special. But really, I wanted to meet you here because I think we need to talk."

"I agree. Because I have something I wanted say and give to you."

"Okay... But you might not like what I'm going to say though, Sydney. So I hate that you got so dressed up for this. Um..."

She chuckled. "When a girl wears heels, that doesn't always mean she's dressed up."

"Sure. But-"

"Sometimes I just wear stuff because I like it."

Zayn raised his brow now. "Since when? You were a tennis shoe type of girl when I was with you?"

She laughed. "Yeah, when I was fourteen. I just turned eighteen in March. I'm growing up."

"You turned eighteen?"

She gasped playfully. "You forgot when my birthday was? Wow, it must have been longer than I thought. I still remember yours. January twelfth."

Zayn saddened because now he thought about his own past birthdays. Sydney left right before January and ruined is fifteenth birthday. That's why he didn't celebrate it in the first place. "Well at least somebody remembered someone's birthday, I guess."

She giggled cutely. "Yeah."

A couple seconds later, one of the waitresses came to the table and reintroduced her name as Bren. But Zayn read her name tag and saw that it actually said Brenda. Maybe she liked the short version better. She took Sydney's drink order, handed her a menu too, then disappeared.