Part 26

Zayn was at home lying in his own bed on Wednesday afternoon. Harry had made him promise he wouldn't come over because he was going to be working on a surprise which he wanted to give Zayn Saturday when he came over. Zayn wasn't sure how Saturday became all about exchanging gifts because he had something he wanted to give to Harry too since he wasn't going to take him to prom. But it kind of just turned into that.

Saturday was also going to be a late date night for Peter and Anne, which meant Harry was going to have to babysit Gemma for the night. So Harry invited Zayn over to spend the night with him, since he hadn't done it in a while. He was sure that would be way better than prom.

He was about to start his homework when his text tone sounded. He knew it wasn't Harry's since texts from Harry had their own distinguished sound. But he also didn't want to ignore who was trying to reach him. So he picked up his phone and peeked at it. He didn't like who it was from.

Now what, Sydney?

Ever since the encounter with Sydney's mother on Friday, Zayn hadn't been up to talking to her. She'd texted him everyday since then. A lot of them were apologies while a couple were inviting him back. And he read all of them. He just never replied.

S- Is your mom home?

That was an odd question. So he typed a reply.

Z- No. Why?

S- Come outside.

Zayn quickly sat up in his bed and read the message again. This sounded like something Harry would say when he showed up at Harry's back door unexpectedly.

Z- What do you mean?

S- I mean come outside your front door. I'm here.

Zayn thought about telling her to go away. But he didn't want to be rude. So he sighed, got up, then made his way out of the room and downstairs. When he opened the door, he wasn't surprised to see her choice of clothing different again. This time she was wearing a cute white summer top, mint colored shorts and gold thong sandles.

"Zayn, I'm glad you're home." She said and she walked in before he invited her in. "You have not been answering my texts. Why not? And I want a truthful answer."

Zayn closed the door and locked it. He turned to see her facing him. "Uh... I just didn't want to."

"But I told you how sorry I am for my mother. She's just a little crazy sometimes. But I talked to her yesterday and she says she's really sorry for the way she acted. Do you forgive her?"

Zayn twisted his mouth. "I don't know. She didn't look like she was willing to apologize to me."

"That was Friday. It's Wednesday now. It's been five days. If she can get over it, so can you."

Zayn didn't want to be one to hold a grudge, but something just didn't seem right. Could she really have changed her mind so fast? "Okay. You're right. I guess I'm a little wary because I don't want her to look at me as someone I'm not. I'm sorry."

"It's okay." And she walked further into the house. "I figured that's what it was."

He followed her into the kitchen now.

"You drink out of princess cups?" Sydney asked with a grin.

"What?"

She pointed towards the counter where there was a plastic cup with disney pricesses printed on it and there was a squiggly plastic straw sticking out of it. He laughed.

"No. That's Gemma's. She left it here Monday."

Her smile faded. "Oh, Gemma. The seven year old you were talking about. What grade is she in again?"