six

The two continue dancing for a bit, progressively becoming more comfortable with each other.

Grey holds a smile, softly expressing, "This is going fairly well, I'd say. Other than the fact that there are far too many people here. I'm not a huge fan of that aspect." Her breath smells of the bitter wine she had been drinking just minutes earlier.

"Me neither," Reid replies.

She nods, resting her hands on his shoulders. They maintain eye contact, not sure whether to smile or not. It's a pretty awkward situation, but Grey hasn't noticed, and Reid doesn't mind.

"How long until there's another case, you think?" he asks.

Grey is slow to reply, unsure how to go about answering the question. "At most like three days, but I'd be surprised if we weren't called in by tomorrow morning. Hotch turns down like at least five cases a day, so that gives you a basic idea."

"Ah, jeez." he chuckles.

Grey feels his fingertips tapping on her waist, although she doubts that he realizes he's doing such.

Hazel approaches the two joyously, poking Grey's shoulder and grinning. "Hey, I'm taking a break from dancing to introduce myself to your date." She faces Reid, chirping, "I'm Hazel, of course."

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Dr. Spencer Reid." He formally introduces himself.

"It's great to meet you too, Spencer. I'm glad you agreed to come here, because as I'm sure you've heard-"

He cuts her off. "You have an astronomical amount of dislike for Derek Morgan. Did I get it right?"

Hazel laughs, pointing at him and looking to Grey. "See, this guy's funny!"

"He is, isn't he?" Grey exhales and grins.

While Hazel isn't looking, Reid looks to Grey with confusion, mouthing, "Funny?".

She shrugs, continuing to smile and mouthing back, "Go with it."

Hazel looks back to the two, saying, "Sorry, Brandon's waving at me. I think he wanted me to talk with his parents or something, so I'm going to go do that. I just wanted to make sure I said hi to you guys!"

"Of course," Grey replies, "Well, if I don't see you before I leave..." She trails off. That was normally where she'd say 'I'll see you at home,' but she wouldn't. Hazel already had her things packed and moved yesterday, so that phrase was now dead.

She nods. "Yeah, I'll see you around!" She hugs her for a moment, then tells Reid it was great meeting him. Then, her heels click the floor as she runs back to her husband.

Grey sighs, trying to hold a smile. She'll definitely miss Hazel, but maybe living alone will be more interesting. By interesting, she means quiet.

She grasps Reid's hands, awkwardly dancing once again.

▪▪▪

Grey and Reid are finally getting into her car, after what had seemed like an eternity of standing around at a party that they were desperate to leave. It was fun for a while, but they grew tired of being around people, each wanting to go home.