nine

Morgan, Reid, and Grey sit in the car, on their way to Lucas Marshall's residence. Morgan was driving with Grey on the passenger side, and Reid in the back seat.

Reid now has Grey's gun on a belt holster, as he was temporarily certified to have it. It felt odd, but he was still pretty happy with it.

They were nearly there at this point, and adrenaline was pumping through everyone's veins. Grey is in the process of putting on her bulletproof vest, complaining every time Morgan takes a quick turn.

"Should've put it on before we got in, Grey," he says, staring at the road.

"Starting to regret that now."

Reid changes the subject, "Do you think he'll have the girl here?"

"I don't see why he wouldn't," Morgan answers, "I haven't seen any other cars in the last ten minutes, so he has the desired amount of isolation." He notices a mailbox with the designated address number on it.

They pull up into the driveway, Grey spouting orders once more. "I'm going to lead, no question about it. Morgan, I'm going to try picking the lock first, but I may need you to kick the door down, you can get it faster than me. Reid, stay back, but not too far back. You already know how to negotiate, so just make sure you don't get injured. "

They nod in affirmation as they get out of the car, heading towards the house. It's average-sized and decaying a bit, vines growing up the sides and old paint chipping.

Grey knocks on the door, since they legally have to announce their presence. "Lucas Marshall, this is the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I'm going to need you to slowly open your door."

She hears creaky wood, most likely someone running from inside the house. "Now tell me, why did I expect that," she mutters, kneeling and pulling a tool from her belt and jamming it into the door's lock.

While attempting to unlock it, a gunshot sounds from inside the house. Reid flinches along with Morgan, unsure what to do.

"Fuck fuck fuck!" Grey panics, standing up. She steps back, putting her left arm across Reid's chest and pushing him back with her. "Morgan, go."

He braces himself, bringing up his right leg and kicking the door, breaking the bottom set of hinges. He grunts under his breath, slamming his shoulder into the wood. The door finally collapses.

Grey steps over it, raising her gun and walking in. She raises a finger to her head, then points it toward a hallway on the right. She then brings her finger in Morgan's direction, then points to a set of stairs. That was her way of silently conveying that she would be checking the hallway, and Morgan should go upstairs.

He separates from the group, going upstairs. Grey looks to Reid and tilts her head back towards the hallway, motioning for him to come with her.

He pulls his gun, following behind her. The get to the first door. Grey stands on the other side of it, grabbing the knob and twisting. She opens it, allowing Reid to check out the room.

He mouths, "Clear," as he slowly shuts it again.

They repeat the same maneuver with another room, which was also clear.

The third door that they open leads to a basement. Reid silently notifies Grey, allowing her to walk down first. She does so, hearing muffled cries on her way down. Focusing in, Grey runs down the last few steps, confronting the killer.

He stood in the middle of the room with a gun already aimed at Grey, prepared for their arrival. Lauren James is in the corner, laying in agony. She had multiple cuts and bruises, but she also had a bullet wound through her shoulder, blood spreading across the floor.