❥ our distance 『t. yahiro』

Game: The Fateful Encounter (Genius Inc.)
Character: Tsubaki Yahiro

I stare blankly at the sign in front of Uncle Kodai's detective agency. It's closed. And I know just why is the reason.

A trickle of tear slides down my cheeks as I stand still in front of the agency.

I could see some steam of my breath in front of me. I could feel my legs trembling a bit after running to come here. I could hear my heart beat faster even when I'm trying to calm them down. My legs finally gave up and I fall down on the pile of snow in front of the building.

I cup my hands in my face as I sob silently, not caring for the cold breeze that hit my cheeks or the people walking in front of me.

~~**~~
It has been a week after Uncle Kodai passed away in a car accident and also the closing of his agency. I knew perfectly well that they can still operate just like normal even without him but right after his death, one by one people kept resigning themselves from there.

Although what bothered me the most was that person. The only person I cared for. The most important person in my life. My better half.

"Hey!"
Shina suddenly shook my body violently to snap me from my thoughts. I look up at her with a bitter smile before asking her what does she wanted.

She kept quiet for a moment before shaking her head. It was probably nothing important, I thought to myself.

"Hey, do you really think that's the kind of attitude you should give to your best friend who's clearly showing she doesn't want to be bothered?"
I look up again to see Kaoru raising his eyebrows while looking irritatedly at Shina. Behind him was Takeru who silently observes the whole scene.

Shina was a bit taken aback before muttering a small sorry. I heave another sigh before standing up to leave the lecture hall. I could hear Shina calling me from behind but I ignore her. I just needed to get home for now.

~~**~~
Flashback

Yahiro puts a plate of fried rice in front of me as I was busy typing my report. I look up to see him giving his soft smile that I always love. I smile back at him, a form of thanks for helping me reduce a bit of my stress.

After a while of typing, I finally finished my work. I then stretch myself a bit but just when I was about to relax my body back, I could feel some warmth coming from my back. I give a glance behind to see Yahiro embracing me tightly.

"Thanks for your good work."
He whispers those lovingly before kissing my forehead lightly. I return his hug to recharge back my energy that has been lost. Even just being beside him has make me feel so comfortable and calm.

~~**~~
"Ohho~ Yahiro, you're doing this surprise for me???? I'm so happy!"
I poke Yahiro's cheek which is red from embarrassment to tease him. It was so sweet of him to plan this surprise party for my birthday party. All the other guys at the agency has celebrated it earlier but Yahiro made another surprise to just spend my birthday with only the two of us.

"Urghhh.....Stop it and let's just eat your cake!"
He stomp away from me while blushing heavily and I follow behind him with an eternal smile on my face.

Flashback end

~~**~~
"Yes, yes, that's me."
I nod in acknowledgement at the caller. Just then, my eyes went wide and I almost drop my phone there. I quickly rush out of my house without wearing any coat even though outside is snowing. I need to get to the hospital.

~~**~~
The doctor shook his head in an apologetic manner. Uncle Kodai couldn't be saved. I fall to my knees and cries silently in grief. All of the other agency members were also present. Except for Yahiro.

After that day, I caught a high fever because I came out of the house without wearing anything warm. I was asleep and bedridden for as long as I can remember. Each night, I would have nightmares. I was all alone. Nobody was with me. I called out so hard for somebody, for Yahiro but no one seems to be with me in that dark place.

Strangely, that nightmare would disappear soon after a sudden warmth came and hold my hand. I felt calm for the first time and every night I had that nightmare, that warmth would come and help calm me.

After I was finally well, another shocking news came to me. Yahiro was missing. There seems to be no trace of him anywhere. No matter how many times they tried calling him, he was never to be heard.

I was heartbroken. He was most likely to be the most scarred by Uncle Kodai's death. Even though the search for him has been left just like that, I still thought of him every day. I would always thought what is he doing right now. Is he taking care of himself properly.

Regrets came overflowing my body each time I remember all of our happy times together. If only I knew this would happen, I would've spend much more time with him. We grew distant because I was preparing for my exam. He was always there, sitting somewhere in the same room as me silently reading a book. He was close yet we were so distant. I wanted to hold him. I couldn't focus much to studying because of that thought. But I still doesn't want him to be away from me. I was craving to hug him, hold his hand, kiss him. But I kept hiding my hands under the table to prevent myself from doing that. I was such a pathetic girl.

And now he's gone. Never to be found. I open my phone and search for that message. That last message I got from him.

From: Yahiro
To: Y/N
Subject: No subject

I'm sorry. I loved you. Goodbye.

I could feel the tears that start to gather around my eyes once again. I only got this yesterday but I've read it over 10 times already. If only I could reply to this. But the number was never to be reach.

If only I could reach him right now...

I thought this silently before taking out a pen and a piece of paper from my drawer.

Dear Yahiro,

I know what I'm doing is pointless. Writing a letter to someone whose whereabouts are unknown. I felt like a complete idiot. But that's fine. I've already been an idiot ever since I fell in love with you.

Hey, do you know? Our cat, Miru, has already safely gave birth to two little kittens which both is female. Hehe, female rules the house now, you know?

I still remember that time when we found Miru. That day was colder than any day before. And then we found Miru shivering in the bushes and decided to adopt her. With her around, it never feels dull. It almost felt like...a child was there. Ah, but, don't get the wrong idea! I didn't mean that I want to have child! Well, at least not now...

And do you remember that time when I was exposed to the truth? It still is etched in my heart even until now. I was crying like there was no tomorrow. And you were there, comforting and protecting me like you always do.

Yahiro, I've never been so grateful to other people in my life before. You were always there for me and I couldn't take it if it wasn't you who is with me when I'm overcoming all my hardest times with.

All of our happy times and sad times, I'll never forget it. Even if I lost my memories, I will make sure to get back those memories I have with you.

I'm still getting the hang of my everyday life. It's still hard for me to overcome Uncle Kodai's death, though.

Yahiro, you have always been my strength when I needed it. That's why after Uncle Kodai's death, I was hoping we could be together and overcome this with each other. But you disappeared.

I'm sorry, Yahiro. Thank you, Yahiro. Goodbye, Yahiro. I loved you very much, Yahiro.

P/S: Thank you for taking care of me when I had that high fever. Thank you for being with me and hold me when I was having nightmares. If only push myself more to see your face, one last time.

Lots of love,
Y/N.

I finally fold the letter after re-reading it for the fifth times before putting it in a white envelope. I decided to send this letter to Yahiro's old house where he used to live with his mother. It was pointless. I will be sending a letter that will never be reached by the person I wanted to. I'm such an idiot. His idiot, at least.