Chapter 2

I wake up the next morning to my alarm blaring and World War 3 happening downstairs between my parents. Why can't they just get on for one second? Turning my music up to the highest volume, I walk over to my wardrobe. I need to look nice, it's the first day back at school. I end up picking out a sleek white skirt and a black floral top: cute but not too much so I can stay under the radar.

I wander down the stairs and am about to walk straight past the kitchen when I hear a smash. Turning the corner quickly I see Hannah sitting on the floor surrounded by a smashed plate. She glares at me as to not say anything so I just turn around and walk out the door. The only positive to a constant war going on in your house is that you can go by without being noticed. I start the walk to school. This should make up for half the run I missed yesterday because of that stupid asshole knocking me over, I still have the bruises on my arm from where I landed on solid concrete. Who even was that guy? I have never seen him before and I have lived in this town all my life. Before I can think any more of it I am arriving at the school gates. The anxiety rises in my stomach as soon as I step foot on the grounds of hell. I really hope today ends quickly.

The first few lessons go by fairly fast. Now I just have to get through lunch, English and cooking; the worst lessons ever invented. As the bell sounds everyone rushes from their seats in biology to get to the canteen. I take a different route heading towards the photography room. I am clicking through the pictures I took on my camera when I get a case of deja vu. I hit into someone's back and get knocked over... again. The second time in two days, my legs are going to be too sore to do any running at this point. I look up to see who the person I have to apologise to is this time but I am met with a familiar face. Where do I know him from? Oh My God... it's the same boy.
"Ugh, you again. I thought I told you to watch where your going? Or are you just so stupid that you think walking into me will make me notice and fall in love with you?"
"Jeez I'm sorry, I just wasn't watching where I was going"
"Was that this time or the last time you hit into me?" He has a point.
"Both. Sorry, I will try not to walk into you again." And with that I walk off in the opposite direction as everybody else. I turn around to see the unidentifiable boy one more time but when I do all I see is a crowd of heads all moulding together in the same direction.

I spend all of lunch in the photography room, developing the pictures I took over summer break. This earns me a few stares from the teachers working in there but I choose to ignore them, so what if I don't like eating at school? The bell tolls to signal the end of lunch and the beginning of next period... English, great! English would be fine if I didn't share it with the most brain dead students in my whole year. I weave my way through the corridors to room 101 and open the door. Even the room looks dumb, with the alphabet literally printed against the walls. Most seats are already taken by the time I enter the room so I have to take one in the back corner next to the windows. Nobody sits beside me and nobody talks to me all lesson, which I fine by me. I don't like anybody in this school anyway.

As another bell rings to signal the final lesson of they day, all of the students split into their different directions with only a few heading in the same direction as me. I have no clue who is in my cooking lesson but I hope that there are some people that I can at least tolerate. But, as I approach the door I can see that this day is not working in my favour as all of the people in this class have had a hand in my past bullying experiences. Even worse, I can see that the only seat left is next to the boy who I keep crashing into every time I see him... combined with food; this is going to make for a great lesson.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hattie's first day back at school outfit: