Chapter 19

"So, Hattie. That's an interesting top you have on there." Lola looks me up and down as she gets herself a plate full of pancakes her mum made for us this morning whilst I am sitting drinking a glass of water. I can immediately feel my face heating up as I realise I'm still wearing the top Cole lent me.

"It's weird. I could've sworn I saw Cole wear the exact same shirt last week. Didn't you mum?" she turns to wear her mum sits opposite me.

"Lola, leave her alone. She can wear what she wants." her mum says in reply, sending a wink my way, making my face turn even redder than it was previously.

"Lola forgot her top, you were passed out because of how much you drank so I let her borrow one of mine. It's no big deal Lola, so shut up." Cole says before Lola can say any more. She doesn't say anything else about it after that and just converses with her mum about how the party went. I look over to Cole who is sitting next to his mum and mouth a thank you at him. He just nods his head as a reply but as he does, his eyes freeze on my glass of water, narrowing as he realises I don't have a plate of pancakes like everyone else. He opens his mouth to speak but I interrupt his first word.

"I'm going to go take a shower and get dressed." Lola and her mum both say ok but Cole doesn't say anything, keeping his eyes trained on my figure as I sprint up the stairs.

After spending about 45 minutes in the shower and getting dressed, I head downstairs. I am wearing a pink pinafore dress with a baggy grey jumper underneath. It's perfect for a cold-ish day like this.

I'm walking down the corridor into the living room, where I hear Cole and Lola speaking, when I get a notification on my phone reminding me to buy ingredients for cooking tomorrow

"Shit." I mutter underneath my breath. I completely forgot to get the ingredients yesterday before coming here. Now I'll have to leave early just to make it to the shop before it closes early because its a Sunday. Just as I think today couldn't get any more rushed, another notification comes through. This one is reminding me that I have to finish my photography project for Tuesday. I don't know how I'm going to get that done because I need male clothing examples, meaning I can't use Lola as my model. Thinking a plan through, I look at the clock and see it's 12, meaning I have 4 hours until the shops shut.

"Guys, I have to go but I'll see you tomorrow at school." I say as I enter the living room, after grabbing my stuff from the guest room.

"What? Why? I wanted you to stay for longer." Lola says, standing up to look at me. Cole quickly follows her actions and sends me a questioning look.

"I need to walk to the shops to get the cooking ingredients we need for tomorrow and I have to find someone to take pictures of for a photography project. So, I really need to go." I emphasise the last part, hoping she doesn't push any further.

"Wait, your gonna walk to town from here and then walk home?" Cole asks me. I nod in reply, I do it all the time so it isn't that big of a deal to me.