Chapter 39

"I'm gonna miss you so much!" Hannah says as she gives me a tight hug to say goodbye.

I've been out of the hospital for a day and am now heading to a rehabilitation centre three hours away from home. Anxiety is filling my body and seeping out through every pore but I'm praying everything will be alright.

Lola and Harry couldn't come today so they gave me my goodbyes last night, which, in a way, kind of makes leaving slightly easier. My dad is driving me to the centre and Hannah and Cole are saying goodbye to me now. I can tell this is hurting both of them so much but they are trying to hide it from me so I can get an easy leave. My mother has barely said two words to me since I got back and she still hasn't looked me in the eye. She must really hate the amount of attention I am getting right now.

"Alright, Hattie, I'll wait in the car." My dad says as he finishes putting my bag in the boot. Hannah has gone inside now, leaving just me and Cole. He hasn't left my side since I decided I'm leaving and, to be honest, I haven't wanted him to.

"I'm gonna mi-" I begin before he cuts me off.

"I love you."

"Y-you what?" I question, shocked at his words.

"I. Love. You." He says, taking a step closer to me in between every word.

"I-I love you too." I reply before I even realise what I'm saying. Cole's face breaks out into a wide smile as he picks me up off the ground and starts spinning me around. It was in this moment, this picture perfect, out of a movie moment that I realised I had to do something.

"Cole..." I said when he put me down.

"Yeah?" He replied, still having that smile on his face.

"I-I don't think you should wait for me while I'm gone." His face falls immediately.

"What?"

"I think you should move on while I'm in rehab. I mean, who knows how long I'm gonna be gone for? I want you to be happy while I'm away." I say honestly.

He begins shaking his head and holds onto my waist, leaning down to kiss me. I accept the kiss, thinking it's for a goodbye but as the kiss deepens, I know this is something more.

"I'm never gonna stop loving you." He says as we break the kiss while he holds me in place.

"I want you to have this." He takes off the necklace he has worn every day since I've met him; it's a simple black pendant on a bronze chain. I've always been curious about it as it's so simple and yet I couldn't picture Cole without it. Without another word he places it around my neck and gives me one final hug, only speaking as he goes to walk away.

 Without another word he places it around my neck and gives me one final hug, only speaking as he goes to walk away

"I'll see you soon, love."

*****

"Ok, Hattie. Right this way and I'll show you to your room." a lady with a sickly sweet voice says to me as she files away the paperwork I just filled out.