Chapter 12

It had been an hour and I was still locked in the photography room. I was missing cooking because of this, which was the only positive. But then I thought about Cole, he would have to work alone this lesson, thinking I abandoned him in the lesson where I had planned everything out. I suppose that was Cadie's plan though, get him away from me so she could swoop in and take him, like I cared about that. I let out a frustrated groan when I heard footsteps approaching.

"HELP! Please, somebody help!" I shouted as loud as I could with my already sore throat.

"Hattie? Is that you?" I heard a voice call back, I couldn't figure out who it belonged to because of the door though but it sounded familiar so I called back "Yeah, it's me. Please help, I'm locked in!" I heard the other person sigh and murmur something about being right back. Next thing I can hear is the jangle of keys and suddenly the door burst open.

"Hattie, are you ok? What happened?" I look up to see who the familiar voice matches and see Cole standing in the doorway. I suddenly realise how stupid I must seem to him; getting stuck in a classroom and being so scared that I am crouched down on the floor with tears staining my face.

"Hattie, hello? Are you ok? Can you answer me please, what happened?" I shake my head, aware that I haven't answered Cole's questions

"Ummm... well, I was sitting in here at lunch and then..." Mid way through this sentence I realise that I can't tell Cole what actually happened so think on the spot for a new lie but nothing comes out of my mouth

"And what?" he interrupts my thoughts

"And someone came and locked the door... I was stuck and tried screaming for help but nobody came..." I glanced up at him to see his reaction, only to see him sitting in front of me, concern and worry laced through his eyes.

"Hattie, I'm really sorry. I was sitting in cooking and I remembered you being here this morning but thought you just left early or something." he sighed and I just wiped the tears from my cheeks. Suddenly, a thought hit me "How did you find me?"

"Uhh, well in cooking, Cadie came up to me and started asking where you were and if I wanted to work with her and if I wanted to come over to her house to practice and I needed to get away from her. I thought it was weird that she was asking about you so asked Mrs Smith if I could go to reception to see if you got sent home. I went there and asked and they said you hadn't so I got a bit worried. I mean, I know you would never skip with Lola so went to the next place I thought you would be when I heard you screaming." I can't believe Cole was looking for me, or that he even noticed I was gone.

"Thank you." I muttered quietly. He sighed ignored my pathetic thanks and just continued asking me questions "Do you know who locked you in here?" His eyes locked with mine and I knew that if I lied to him right now, he would know. "I think you already know who locked me in here..."

"I need to hear you say that it was them."

I sighed, finally giving in "It was Cadie and Harper." his face hardened immediately and gave me a look that meant for me to say why. "They sent me a note yesterday, warning me not to, to..." his eyes squinted in confusion "not to do something and I guess they thought I did it so they locked me in here as my punishment... or so they said on the note they slid under the door" I said the last part more quietly as I didn't want him to know why they needed to punish me. He looked at me questioningly but didn't ask any more questions surprisingly. Instead, he just said "Do you need a ride home?" I felt my brows raise in confusion, school didn't finish for half an hour. "Unless you want to go back to cooking to face Mrs Smith's questions, Cadie's death stares and basically the whole class making fun of you?" I thought for a second and shook my head "No, I don't have a ride home, I always walk." Now it was his turn to be confused

"Don't you live, like, a 20 minute car ride from here? That's like a 40 minute walk..." he says slowly, trying to figure something out.

"Yeah, my parents are always at work so I walk." I say

"Wait, don't you have a sister? I always see her getting a ride to school?" Why does he keep asking me questions, I just want to curl up in a ball and shut the world out.

"Cole, please, can we just go? Don't worry about it. I just want to get home." I snap more harshly than intended. His eyes changed as soon as I said this; they shifted from the caring but curious look he was giving me, to a stare as cold as ice. He didn't reply, instead he just nodded and stood from his previous crouched position. I was about to get up myself when he extended his hand towards me, offering me help up, so I took it without a second thought. For a second, no thoughts threatened to invade my mind about how heavy I must be to help up. Instead, I was just a normal girl being helped by a normal boy.

*****

After Cole had snuck me out of school early we just hung around the village, waiting for his mum to come and pick us up. I asked why he didn't ride his moped to school but he just said he didn't want the hassle. We barely spoke a word as we wandered through the streets, but it wasn't awkward, it was actually strangely comforting after being locked up in a classroom for an hour.

Cole's mum came half an hour later and didn't question why I was alone with Cole, skipping school, or why I needed to be dropped off home. Instead, she welcomed me and said that if I needed to I could come back to their house for tea. I said no but appreciated the offer, nobody had ever made me feel this welcomed or wanted, not even my own parents. Not to soon after we got into the car, Lola arrived.

"Hattie, what are you doing here?" she questioned

"Umm... I, ummm..." I didn't know what to say. How do I say that I just got locked in a classroom until her brother saved me and we skipped school together because I needed a lift home? Luckily I didn't have to think of an answer because Cole answered for me.

"She just needed a lift home so I offered her one." he says casually, turning around and giving me a small smile when he sees my relieved face. It's almost as if he could read my mind and see how much I didn't know how to answer.

"Oh, ok. Cool. Are you coming back to our's Hattie?"

"Uh, no thanks. I should probably get home. I'm home alone all night so don't want to be out late. Thank you though." I responded quietly.

"Wait, your gonna be home alone all night?" Cole turns to face me fully

"Y-yeah. My dad's on a business trip and my mum took my sister to the city to go shopping so none of them will be back until tomorrow or the next day." I shrug off nonchalantly.

"Oh, Hattie, sweetie. I don't want you to be lonely in your house all night. Come sleep around our house. We have a spare bedroom or two, or you can always share a room with Lola. None of us mind." This time it's Cole and Lola's mum to speak up. I feel all eyes shift to me expectantly, willing me to say yes, pressuring me into staying the night somewhere I will have to eat.

"Umm, I don't know. I don't have any clothes and don't want to impo-"

"Oh, nonsense. You won't be imposing and we can stop off at yours on the way home to get you whatever you need." Again, all eyes meet mine, telling me to say yes.

"O-ok then, thank you." I murmur begrudgingly. I want to spend time with Lola and Cole but what do I do when they offer me food? This is going to be one long night.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note-
Sorry I haven't updated in a while but I have had exams for the past month so have had no time to write. My last exam is on Monday, so should be able to write more often.

Hope you enjoyed
xxx