Heartbroken? Best places to visit after a sad breakup

Got this from GMA network site. Click external link for full blog info. :)

____________________________________________________________________________

Sharing one's life with a significant other can be one of the most joyful experiences that life has to offer which is why most people are devastated after a breakup.

Sometimes, the pain just becomes too heavy to bear and people feel the need to escape, to travel to places that can help them forget their heartaches even if only temporarily.

A report of the news site Huffington Post listed some of the best places where one can nurse a broken heart:

São Paulo

Brazil (Estimated Filipino population: 679*)

The largest in South America, Sao Paolo has close to 20 million residents, including those who come from other countries and have made a home in the city.

The number one complaint about Sao Paolo is its "streets" which always have smog, traffic, and violence. Despite these, residents would rather stay than leave.

São Paulo offers bohemian art in graffiti-covered Vila Madalena, gourmet cuisine in the Jardins district or a classic samba night in Vila Olímpia, to name a few.

With all that's happening in the city, it might be the perfect place for an escape, and somehow that heartache will matter less.

Ibiza

Spain (Estimated Filipino population: 52,611*)

Dubbed as the “party capital of the world,” Ibiza is the place to forget your bad memories with "bad" but fun choices.

Clubs are epic, there are seas of hangover and the international DJs play sets that will rock your soul.

In Ibiza where the term “rave” was first coined, the only thing to do is party till you drop and party harder once you are sober.

New Orleans

United States (Estimated Filipino population:  3,166,529*)

There’s a saying that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach and the way to move on after a breakup is through food.

New Orleans is a place which is familiar with food. With its Cajun culture, enjoy a good morning with beignets, the official doughnut of Louisiana since 1986.

Have po’boys along with crawfish and jambalaya. At night, have your fill with a hearty serving of gumbo, étouffée, as well as red beans and rice.

After your visit to New Orleans you will gain some extra pounds but at least the weight in your heart would be less, if not absent.

Mexico

Mexico (Estimated Filipino population: 662*)

If you think your life is pathetic after being dumped by your “soulmate” then you better look at the bright side and head over to Mexico.

However, you’re not there to have a good time at the beach or party. You should instead go see what state the country is in and help in volunteer activities.

There will always be something to volunteer in whether it is teaching kids to learn English, digging wells in water-deprived areas, or saving endangered turtles on the coast.

Maybe, after you have helped out so many unfortunate people, you would realize how petty your problem is and move on with a new purpose in life.

San Jose

Costa Rica (Estimated Filipino population: 285*)

Sometimes, a little heartache can be solved with a big adventure in the rainforests.

San Jose is a place where you can fall in love all over again with nature. Experience seeing sloths, monkeys, and scarlet macaws.

You can also reflect without disturbance since the place is pretty much secluded.

Leave the memory of a painful past in the rainforest and return home with a heart ready to embrace what nature has given us.

* Data based on the 2010 Stock Estimate of the Commission on Filipinos Overseas   

- Andrei Medina, VVP, GMA News