christmas

You waited at the airport, the low hum of planes crossing overhead was hardly anything compared to the noise that was going on inside. JFK airport was bustling with the sound of Christmas. Relatives flying over to New York and people flying to different parts of the country and the world. Many were just quick visits over the holiday season, but not yours. Yours was a fresh start in New York, Brooklyn specifically, not only for the job opportunities, but the family aspect too.

Your half-brother, Jake, resides in Brooklyn, at worked as a detective in the 99th precinct from what he'd told you. What he'd told you was actually a much more long-winded version, but the gist of it was that point. Since you had the same dad, and had only met on a handful of occasions before, moving to Brooklyn seemed perfect. Not only would you have some sort of family again, but a fresh career was exactly was you needed, especially after losing your job down in Miami due to an unexpected rise in unemployment.

From what Jake had told you, he'd be meeting you at the first gate. You took a deep breath and pulled your suitcase behind you, taking in all the sights and sounds New York's biggest airport alone had to offer, which was a fair bit over the festive period especially.

"Arrivals.." you read from the sign above, "come on (Y/N), you can do this. This is exactly what you need."
You turned a corner just in time to be greeted by a mass of people standing behind a corrugated iron fence, accompanied by a few stewards in hi-vis jackets. Many wore Christmas hats, holding signs up with a plethora of scrawled surnames on them, but your eyes scanned quickly to try and find the person you were looking for.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!"

You turned your head, squinting to work out where the noise was coming from. There was so much commotion it was difficult to pinpoint a particular place. It was only when you spotted a particularly frantic man out of the corner of your eye your gaze snapped onto your brother, grinning and waving madly over the metal fence.

You beamed, before hoisting the suitcase handle up and making your way round, before being encased into a giant hug.

"I can't believe you're here! Finally! My sister!" Jake beamed as he finally released you from his grip, as you tucked your hair behind your ears.
"Jake, I missed you. I'm glad I'm here now though. How have you been?" You grinned.
"Oh, great, being the best detective in all of New York-ow, Amy!"

Your attention was brought to the small woman who was glaring at your brother, before returning her arms to her sides.
"Hi, I'm Amy, I'm Jake's girlfriend." She went to shake your hand, as you politely shook it back.
"Hi, I'm (Y/N), I'm his sister, well, half-sister but, that's too many syllables so, just call me (Y/N) now you know who I am.." you laughed nervously, as Jake grinned at you both.

"You hear that (Y/N)? That's my girlfriend, we're smooshing booties.." his voice turned into a dramatic stage whisper. "..all the time".
Jake was struck a second time in the arm by Amy then.

"Ew!" You said at the same time, before you grinned at the brunette beside him.
"You haven't managed to mature him yet?" You asked. She shook her head and sighed.
"I don't think I'll ever be able to.."

Jake grinned proudly at you both, before grabbing your suitcase and beginning a quick stride towards the car park.

"Whoa Jake, where are we going?" You asked, as you jogged to keep up with your brother.

"To the precinct of course! You know about how good I am at my super cool job, but now you just need to meet everyone and really get a look at what your big brother does.." he cooed patronisingly, ruffling you hair as you whacked his hand away, following him with a huff.

As you stepped out into the chilly December air, it suddenly occurred to you that New York was nothing like Miami. You already loved it.

————————————