wait, who is she?

A/N: Hey, it's me! I'm back on my bullshit! A little midnight writing on my laptop because it's too hot in England at the moment (oddly) and I can't sleep. This was a lovely little request by @pooh45667 ; obviously as a Brit I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so I hope I managed to do it even the slightest bit of justice!

Rosa Diaz was proud to say she was a very private person, thank you very much. She's gone 5 years without her colleagues knowing hardly anything about her and life outside of work, and that's how she liked it. She came out to them because they deserved to know, they were like her second family, and she was doing it purely out of kindness, a small display of affection towards them if you will.

However, Thanksgiving was coming up, and Rosa decided that finally she was going to be more open with her work family. What's the worst that could happen, right? So at 9:15AM Monday morning in the 99th precinct's briefing room, she made a formal announcement.

"So, uh, I know Amy's hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year.." she started, looking at the floor while Santiago beamed and waved at the room, while Jake looked completely devastated. "I just wanted to let you know that I'll be bringing my girlfriend along.." She finished quickly, her eyes flickering upwards and then back at the floor again as she took her seat.

As soon as she hit the chair again, she felt Charles turn round in his chair to face her, as she groaned internally.

"I just wanna say Rosa, I am SO excited for you, I mean can you imagine? Me and Genevive, Jake and Amy and you and your girlfriend all cozied up by the fire, enjoying a wonderful turkey day-OOH, we could play couple charades, oh my god! Just out of curiosity, what's her favourite cheese? Is she a brie girl? Perhaps a little more parma-"

"Boyle!" She snapped, cutting him out of his trance as he immediately sat back down. "Chill out man.."

"Yeah, god Charles!" Jake said dramatically, taking a slow walk up to Rosa's desk and shaking his head animatedly at a crestfallen Charles. "But, y'know, just for uh, safeguarding purposes, what's her name Rosa?" He grinned hopefully, as Rosa shot him a glare. She studied the rest of the squad. They were looking at her expectantly, even Captain Holt looked pensive.

She sighed. "It's (Y/N)."

Jake raised his eyebrows and nodded his head "Ok ok ok.." he smirked. He paused slightly. "Anymore information to give us? Anybody have any questions for Diaz?"

Amy, Charles, Gina and Hitchcock immediately raised their hands. This is why she preferred to keep her life private. Rosa stood up and rolled her eyes, pointing to each member with a raised hand.

"No, no, no.." She studied Hitchcock. "And definitely no." His hand fell to his side once more as her furrowed his brows in dismay. "You'll all get to meet her on Sunday, but until then, no more questions. You already know too much for my liking.." She muttered, grabbing the three case files she'd been handed and stalking out of the briefing room.

-

The next week was of subtle (or in Charles' case, not so subtle) questions on (Y/N), Rosa's mystery girlfriend.

"So, Rosa, I was thinking about these flowers for table decorations?" Amy said slyly, showing an image of white lillies. "Do you think (Y/N) would like them? Or does she prefer a different sort of flower?" She finished, as she studied Rosa's face for a reaction.

"I don't know.." came Diaz's monotone reply. "Never asked her about flowers.." as she strutted off to the break room. Amy cursed internally as she watched her go.

-

"Hey Rosa, I was thinking of signing us onto a fun couples activity course, y'know, bonding time and all that.." Charles asked as he cornered Rosa near the printer. "You just sign this form and put both your dates of birth and occupation, which is good, 'cuz like, none of us know what she actually does, and-"
"Pass." Rosa replied simply, before taking what she needed from the printer and returning to her desk, leaving Charles annoyed his plan had failed again.

-

By Friday, the full squad were sat in the precinct gathering theories on Rosa's girlfriend while she went out to grab some lunch.

"So I say, tall, dark hair, sort of gothic? Kind of like Rosa but not as scary?" Charles guessed, looking around the room for further ideas.

"Maybe it's just a bat.." Gina added, not looking up from her phone.

"For once, I actually agree with Charles." Terry stated, as Boyle beamed proudly.

"Nope, you're all kind of wrong. I say she's a carbon copy of Diaz. Tough, scary, mean, rides a motorcycle and definitely has a badass job, like a tattoo artist!" Jake exclaimed, as Amy snorted.

"You think a tattoo artist is badass?"

"Uh, yeah. Tats cause pain. Pain is badass. My point is proven.."

"Why is my squad chatting in the middle of the precinct like a bunch of 5th graders? I see no work going on at all!" Holt boomed as he wandered into the bullpen from his office.

"Sorry Captain, we're just taking guesses on what's Rosa's girlfriend looks like. Wanna play?" Jake grinned. Holt walked forward in silence for a few moments, before answering.

"I say, short, bright, easy to talk to, complete opposite of Diaz." He said, hand stroking his chin thoughtfully, while Jake snorted.

"C'mon Captain, be realistic, this is Rosa we're talking abou-"

"You said my name?"

The full squad turned to see Rosa strutting in with her motorcycle helmet under her arm, studying the group.

"Oh, uh, Rosa!" Jake smiled falsely, silently begging the others to help him. "We were just talking about how good of a cop you were, and , uh..um.." He stuttered, clearly struggling.

"You were talking about my girlfriend weren't you?" She asked bluntly.

"Charles was talking about her!" Jake pointed to a stunned Boyle, who looked terrified. Rosa just rolled her eyes and returned to her desk.

-

"(Y/N) just text. She said she's parked outside so I'm just gonna go meet her." Rosa addressed the squad as they all sat in Amy's living room couches. Charles elbowed Jake excitedly, as Jake mouthed to the Captain 'you're gonna be so wrong'. The squad made light conversation before they heard the apartment door creak open. The room fell silent and heads turned to see Rosa, stood with a slightly shorter woman on her arm. She wore a huge smile and waved shyly. "Hi, I'm (Y/N)."

Jake looked in confusion between the two women.

"Wait...you're (Y/N)? Rosa's (Y/N)?" He asked, as her smile turned into a timid grin. "Uh, yeah, that's me.." She laughed nervously.

"Oh wow, you are so beautiful.." Charles fawned immediately, running over to greet the woman. "What job do you do? Also you would look just wonderful in a silk wedding dress with sweetheart neckline!" He hugged her tightly, while the woman's laughter increased.

"Oh, uh, thank you so much! And I'm an elementary school teacher, it's always been my dream. You must be Charles?" She guessed, while Boyle squealed. "She knows my name!"

Holt glanced at Jake and smirked, while Jake rolled his eyes. 'I win' he mouthed.

As the squad were preoccupied for a moment, Rosa took the opportunity to sneak a kiss with (Y/N).

"You know they can be a bit full on." She murmured in her ear. "It's ok if you want to leave.."

(Y/N) giggled, placing another quick kiss on Rosa's lips. "Of course not. I love them already."