11

Harley led Ivy through the sewers without hesitation. Coming to intersections, she would only pause a moment before heading off again. Dim service lights in the tunnels allowed them to see and there were numbers on the walls and intersections but other than that there was no way Ivy could see to tell directions.

"Harley? How do you know where you are going?" Ivy finally asked as Harley paused at yet another intersection.

"Mr. J. once had a plan to flood Gotham with Joker Gas. He was going to use the sewer systems and had me study up on the plans. He finally discarded the idea when I pointed out that Joker Gas is heavier than normal air. The sewers in Gotham are all gently sloped towards the sea. His gas would never get enough lift to rise up out of the sewer but would have been harmlessly dumped into the sea." Harley answered as she studied the numerals on the wall.

"And from that one time you remember the layout of the entire Gotham sewer system?" Ivy said impressed.

Harley glanced back and even in the gloom of the sewer Ivy was struck by the haunted look in Harley's eyes through the mask she wore. "When the Joker tells you to study something and remember it, you study it and never forget it. Even after Joker trashed his gas idea he would months later suddenly ask me which sewer went where and if I couldn't answer him he would punish me for failing to pay attention."

Ivy could just imagine how Joker would punish Harley for failing to remember sewer layouts and not for the first time she wondered how the petite blond had kept from slitting the Joker's throat while he slept one night.

"We're here." Harley finally stated coming to a stop near a ladder leading up to a manhole cover.

"Where?" Ivy asked.

"The hotel where we are staying at. Go up this ladder and the hotel is across the street from it."

Ivy had her doubts but dutifully climbed the ladder first, leaving Harley to carry the power core up and pushed on the manhole cover. After a few moments the cover came free and she pulled herself up.

The first sight to hit her was the burned out remains of the hotel where they had been staying across the street. Sitting in the parking lot of the hotel was a giant gaily wrapped gift box with a Jack in the Box in bright purple clothing leaning drunkeningly out of the top and to one side. In the Jack in the Box's hands was a flame thrower. Police had the area cordoned off and a fire truck was still parked in the parking lot.

The police had a wide area around the Jack in the Box isolated and as Ivy watched sitting on the edge of the sewer entrance in the shadows, a few brave officers would advance on the box and poke it and then quickly dart away.

Obviously the police were afraid there were more tricks to be had in the box than just a surprise arson trick.

"Red?" Harley's voice called up from the sewer. "What's going on? Why don't you move so I can come up?"

"I'm coming back down Harley." Ivy whispered down to her. Even though there was so much noise and action going on across the street she didn't want to chance a cop looking over and spotting her. Carefully Ivy leveraged the manhole cover back in place and descended the ladder.

Harley looked at her in confusion once she reached the bottom.

"Joker has been at our hotel. He left one of his calling cards across from the room we were staying in. A Jack in the Box arsonist." Ivy explained.