12

Alfred with a raised eyebrow watched Robin and Batgirl as they stood sheepishly in front of him. "So let me get this straight. Harley took the tracking device and…"

"Stuck it in the middle of a wad of gum and stuck it on the bumper of a bus headed to Metropolis." Batgirl repeated her earlier statement."

"So in essence…" Alfred continued.

"We fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book." Robin with a scowl folded his arms across his chest.

"How were we suppose to know?" Batgirl replied defensively. "All we knew was the tracker showed us that Harley and Ivy were headed towards Metropolis. Considering they just made a major theft is it so far fetched that they would head to Metropolis to fence the stolen power core?"

Alfred nodded his head. "You did quite right. It was a reasonable conclusion."

All three looked up as the Batmobile with a squeal of tires pulled in to its customary parking spot on a lower platform in the Batcave. Walking over to the railing they looked down as the driver's compartment opened and Batman climbed out. From the angry way he leapt out and looked up at them, they could tell he didn't have any better news than they did.

"No luck sir?" Alfred ventured being braver or more accustomed to Batman's moments of frustration than Robin or Batgirl.

"Plenty of luck if I was looking for The Joker. I run into him everywhere I've tried but he managed to escape every time." Batman replied as he made his ways to the stairs to join them on the higher platform.

"So it would appear that The Joker has no clue where Harley and Ivy are either?" Alfred continued as Batman reached them.

Batman just nodded.

"At the risk of overstepping my position sir, may I once again suggest that Harley stole the power core in seeking a power source so she may rebuild the Joker's dimensional device to escape with Ivy to this Lord Tenchi person's world rather than planning to fence the device for some quick cash?"

Batman shook his head. "Harley would need access to the same type of equipment Joker used last time. There are no indications of thefts of that type."

Batgirl wandered over to the Batcomputer and typed in some queries just to confirm Batman was right. It was true there were no reported thefts of high tech electronics equipment lately but something else caught her eye. "Would Harley need that ugly laughing clown thing we found in the warehouse along with all the other electronic equipment?"

Batman nodded his head. "The laughter sound effect circuits in it were a vital part of the sonic nature of Joker's weapon and subsequently the portal generator it turned into."

Batgirl gestured to the large monitor and pressing a few buttons she had the information she was viewing on a smaller view screen put up there. On the screen was a report from the Gotham Police department about the breaking into of the Evidence lockup and the theft of only one thing. The amusement park laughing clown.

"But I checked the warehouse Joker used that night and found nothing." Batman replied as he began to rapidly type at the computer console. "It was one of the places today where I ran into the Joker at."

"Implying I would think that the Joker also believes that Harley is trying to escape his grasp by fleeing this world." Alfred pointed out.