1. Time For School Time

Brooklyn's point of view.

Beep. Beep. Beep.
Beep. Beep. Beep.
Beep. Beep. Beep.
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Sleepily, my hand fumbled around my alarm clock trying to find the snooze button. I eventually found it, pushed it and rolled over in bed. I savoured the next 10 minutes of rest before I would be dragged into the new year of school, better known as hell.

I was about to go into year 11 and I knew that it was going to be fucking awful. Teachers constantly nagging you about responsibility and your future, end of year exams and piles upon piles of homework.

I guess lunchtimes would be slightly better as I would now get first access to the food because I was in my last year of GCSES; 6th formers - like my brother - are so lucky, they can go get food whenever they have a free period! Food is pretty scarce at the moment what with the world having over 10 billion people in it, global warming slowly getting the better of us and severe deforestation I'd say we weren't exactly spoiled for choice.

"School time! Time to get up time!" my mum yelled in my face as she yanked my curtains open, allowing sunlight to invade my bedroom.

"Mum!" I complained, "My snooze alarm hasn't even gone off yet!"

"But you're awake which means you can start getting ready for school."

I groaned as I tumbled out of bed, silently complaining about how Monday 5th of September (today) was shit, mornings were shit and about how life in general was shit. As I hit the floor another groan escaped me.

"Stop moaning Brooklyn," my mum exclaimed as she threw her hands up in the air, exasperated, "School isn't that bad."

"Yes it is." I argued/mumbled through both my blankets and the floor.

"Little sissssssssterrrrrr!" I heard my brother shout.

Oh no! I thought. All of a sudden my extremely immature 18 year old brother (he's starting year 13 today and it was his birthday yesterday), Riley, jumped on top of me and started tickling me.

"Ple-please, st-stop!" I gasped out between screams and giggles whilst tears streamed down my face, my hands frantically trying to push his body off of mine. Unfortunately, he is exceptionally strong and my efforts were fruitless. I kept going though, I can be a bit stubborn and determined at times.

"Not. Until. You. Get. Ready. For. School!" he answered.

"Well I can't exactly get ready with you sitting on top of me can I?"

"Good point Brooks."

And just like that I was free from him.

"Why thank you kind sir." I said to him in my best posh voice once I was standing, adding in a curtsy for good measure.

"No problem my lady." He replied in an equally posh voice with an over the top bow as well.

And then I was off to the bathroom to both physically and mentally prepare myself for my first day back at school.

"And don't call me Brooks, only my friends can call me Brooks." I called over my shoulder.

"Am I not your friend dear sister?"

I placed my thumb and forefinger on my chin and pretended to ponder his statement for a moment. After a minute of consideration I replied with a simple "No," and stalked out of the room whilst Riley stumbled backwards a few steps, his hand on his heart in mock hurt.

"You have wounded me!" He cried.

I ignored him and slammed the bathroom door shut behind me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on Brooklyn!" both mum and Riley called simultaneously whilst I shovelled in the last remains of my cereal.

"Coming!" I called back with a mouthful of food.

"Brooklyn Ashley Storm you know that eating and talking at the same time is a big no no!" said mum angrily.

I nervously swallowed my mouthful and jogged up to the front door. I knew I was in trouble when my mother used my full name.

"Yeah Brooks, eating and talking at the same time is a big no no." Riley teased.

"Shut up!" I said.

Mum threw up her arms in mock defeat, "I give up, you two are unbelievable. Now leave before you miss the bus."

"Bye mum!" we chorused as we walked out the door.

We quickly fell into step with each other as we headed to the bus stop. It pulled up just as we arrived and I had to take a breath before I boarded.

"You gonna be Ok?" Riley asked in low voice so that only I could hear, "I don't want you to get bullied again."

Did I forget to mention that I get bullied relentlessly? I don't know why, I only have two friends: Jason (who is my best friend in the entire world and I would never part with him) and Roxanne (who is more Jason's friend than mine, she's too annoying and girly for me). I would never tell mum of course, she would freak out and talk to my teachers about it. I can't deal with that right now and more importantly I can't put mum through that kind of level of stress.

"Yeah, don't worry I'll be fine."

With another deep breath I climbed up the steps of the bus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N thanks for reading the first chapter and I hope you enjoyed it. The next chapter will include the bus and possibly school. I'm hoping to introduce Jason and Roxanne. They might possibly find out about "The Games". I can't promise a consistent schedule but I'll try to update as often as possible. Please stick with me and vote, byeeeee!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cause I'm with you 'til the end of the line" - Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes