2. The Wrong Move

Brooklyn's point of view

Thankfully Riley and I were the first ones on the bus. I got on the bus slightly before Riley and led the way to our usual spot: the very back of course, it kept me away from the prying eyes of my peers.

"After you, kind sir," I said to my brother as we neared the seats, gesturing with my hand towards the window seat.

"Why thank you, my lady," he replied.

He sat down on the window seat and patted the seat next to him indicating for me to sit down. Pretty much as soon as I sat down he turned away from me, resting his elbow on the arm of the chair and his chin on his hand, he promptly fell asleep. I scoffed and rolled my eyes at his ability to fall asleep within mere seconds whereas with me it took hours. To be honest it probably takes me so long to fall asleep because I'm worrying about what the bullies might say to me and how to improve my maths grades; both problems were caused by my... to be honest, you probably don't need to know that right now.

Instead of attempting the impossible feat of falling asleep I decided to get out my book "Little Dorrit" - you just can't beat the classics, even if they were written over 220 years ago. I curled my legs up underneath me and began to allow myself to get lost in a world created by the great Charles Dickins just as the bus took of. I honestly believe that Charles Dickins has saved my life on multiple occasions, all I had to do was curl up in a ball and read one of his books. Who cares if I've read them all 3 times? The occasions where he saved my life where mostly throughout year 7 and 8 when I didn't have Jason to save me and I hadn't opened up to Riley yet.

"What ya got there."

My personal bubble of literature was suddenly popped by a harsh voice. Oh no, I thought, Harry. I haven't even started school yet and I'm already going to be tormented by the school bully. All of a sudden my book was ripped from hands.

"Give it back Harry," I said, my hands slowly balling into fists at my sides.

"Not gonna happen."

Slowly his little entourage surrounded me. I jumped up to grab my book but Harry pushed me back down and I stumbled into one of his friends who held both of my arms, restraining me. I struggled a bit but my efforts were fruitless and my fringe hung helplessly in front of my face.

"Isn't this a little too advanced for you?" he taunted.

"You know perfectly well that I have a learning disability called dyscalculia!" I said, my voice wavering despite my attempt to appear strong.

"Doesn't mean you aren't stupid."

"Git." I muttered.

"What was that?"

Shit, he heard me.

"Boys, I think it's time we teach little Brooklyn here a lesson."

I struggled, searching for a way out whilst my eyes darted around like a frightened doe. SMACK! Jamie's hand whacked my cheek leaving a bright red mark. My face slowly turned back around to meet his gaze, my blue eyes darkening to a dangerous shade.

"That was the wrong move," I said in a dangerously low voice.

Without warning I launched my head back hitting the boy behind me's face with a satisfying crack. The pain and shock caused him to let go of me and he stumbled back a few paces. It wasn't long before Jamie was swinging punches at me but my small, agile frame dodged them easily. All of the commotion had now woken up Riley and he was on his feet within seconds; his face red with anger, his chest heaving and his hands clenched into fists.

"You get away from her right now." his voice equally as dangerous as mine was just a few moments ago.

"Or what?" Harry retorted.

"Or you're going to get hurt real bad kid."

"I'd like to see you try and scratch me."

That's when I got nervous because Harry was strong and matched Riley in height. I shouldn't have been worried though because within seconds Harry was on the floor, blood pouring from his nose.

"What the hell man!"

"You asked for it kid, no one hurts my little sister."

"It's not my fault she's dumb!"

That last comment threw me over the edge. I launched myself at Harry, my hands reaching for his throat. Riley had to wrap his arms around my waist to stop me from doing something that I would regret.

"Stop," Riley whispered in my ear, "We'll get him back some other time, that time just isn't now."

He placed me on the seat by the window, picked my book up from the floor (which had been dropped at some point during the fight) and handed it back to me. I quietly thanked him and allowed myself to be drawn back into the world of "Little Dorrit".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Hey guys, here's another chapter. To anyone who doesn't know what dyscalculia is I'm pretty sure it's like dyslexia but with numbers instead - sorry if my basic description offended you if you do actually have dyscalculia .This chapter is a shout out to anyone who is or knows someone that is bullied for something that they can't control. I really feel for you guys. Hope you enjoyed the chapter and sorry for not starting school or introducing Jason and Roxanne. I just got caught up with the bus scene and realised that it was about 900 words by the time I'd finished. Please, please, please don't be a silent reader and just comment all the time, I really appreciate it. On that note I leave you byeeeee!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cause I'm with you 'til the end of the line." Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes