3. Aussie

Brooklyn's point of view:

The bus rolled to a halt just outside Kellington School gates. Riley and I got up off of our seats and headed to the back of the queue of students (more accurately described as a mob) waiting to get off the bus. Once all of the students had piled off of the bus, Riley and I hopped out and we walked into the torturous hellhole that was Kellington School. Just as I was about to leave him and walk in the direction of my form room, his hand grabbed my wrist and started dragging me in the opposite direction.

"But I want to go and meet up with Jason," I whined as my brother dragged me along, his hand still firmly placed around my wrist.

"You can meet up with your friend later. Right now we're going to see Nora,"

"Oh yeah Nora, your 'friend'," I teased using finger quotes causing Riley to turn a deep shade of red.

Nora was Riley's girlfriend but mum is always suspicious of any of his girlfriends so when she met Nora Riley said that she was just a friend. The whole ordeal was hilarious in my opinion because I already knew that they were dating. Believe it or not Riley actually asked me for advice about how to ask Nora out! Nora was one of the only girlfriends Riley had had that I liked, heck she was the only one I'd ever liked; she was always nice to me, was always smiling and actually took the time to get to know me despite my antisocialness. That's a word right?

"Well if it isn't my 'søt liten kenguru'," Nora exclaimed, her thick Norwegian accent shining through.

Suddenly I was enveloped in a giant bear hug, Nora's soft, blonde hair tickling my face. We drew apart and I playfully glared at her. I'd gotten used to her nicknames for me over the past few months, even if they were a little long winded.

"It's so nice to see you again 'Kenguru'!" She cried happily.

"It's nice to see you too Nora," I smiled a genuine smile up at her.

"Um hello," Riley interrupted , uncrossing one of his arms and giving a slight wave, "Don't I get a hug from my girlfriend."

I rolled my eyes and stood a little way away from the couple, allowing the two to greet each other. They wrapped their arms around each other and Nora gave Riley a peck on the cheek. My brother looked as though he couldn't get any smugger. I rolled my eyes again.

"I'm going to go now and meet up with Jason. You two have fun," I called.

"OK. Bye sis."

"Bye 'Kenguru'!"

I then turned on my heel, stuck my hands in my hoody pockets and strolled away leaving the couple to catch up with each other.

It wasn't long before I was enveloped in another bear hug from behind accompanied by a voice yelling, "Brookie!"

There's only one person that ever called me that: Jason. I turned around and met the soft, chocolate brown gaze of my best friend.

"Hey Jason," I said cheerfully.

"Hey... you know what time of year it is right?"

"Yep," I said popping the p, "Hell time."

"Nuh-uh," Jason said, shaking his head and making a cross with his arms, "It's catch up time! I haven't seen you all summer! So, what have you been doing Aussie."

"1, just because I'm Australian doesn't mean you can call me Aussie and 2, just the usual. I went to Australia for a couple of weeks with mum and Riley then read for the rest of the holidays."

"You're dad couldn't make it?"

"No," I sighed, "He got caught up with work again. Now tell me where you went Mr I-go-to-a-new-place-every-year."

"1, you need to work on shorter nicknames and 2, I went to Interlaken in Switzerland."

"Cool. When we're older you're going to have to take me on one of your outings."

"Of course I will Brooks."

He glanced down at me and finally noticed the now faint mark on my cheek. Within an instant his fingers were on my chin, lifting my face up to get a better view.

"What happened?" he asked in a low voice.

"Umm," I stuttered, knowing that if I told him what happened he would probably go and punch Jamie but I might as well tell him, "Harry."

"That little bitch," he muttered, removing his hand from my chin and balling it into a fist, "Why did he do it?"

"Because I called him a git."

"Why did you call him a git?" he sighed, his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose - this had happened a few times.

"Because he called me stupid."

"I'm going to get that little son of a bitch!"

He started marching off to go and find Harry. I had to grab his arm to stop him from going any further.

"Please don't," I begged in a small, quiet voice, "You'll just do something you'll regret."

"All right Aussie."

I rolled my eyes and playfully punched his arm as we started heading off to the form room. We walked along in comfortable silence and I slipped my hand into Jason's. We weren't dating or anything, (although others would beg to differ) we were just really good friends.

Once we got into the form room we sat down on mine and Jason's desk, chatting about this and that waiting for Mrs Roger (our form tutor) to arrive. That was until Roxanne showed up.

"Hey Jason," she cooed, nudging his arm.

"Hey Roxy," he replied.

She giggled a high pitched giggle and twirled her purple locks which I'm pretty sure are against school regulations. She was clearly flirting with him and it made me want to wring her neck. Jason pretended he hadn't noticed and continued to chat with her.

"Sit down class."

Thank god! I thought, Saved by the teacher. Never thought I'd ever say that. We all sat down and she talked about some important notices that I didn't bother paying attention to and then dismissed us.

"Oh!" she called out, "Don't forget to pick up those leaflets on your way out."

I walked up to the door, Jason close behind, and picked up one of the leaflets. It was bright yellow and said "The Games" in big black letters across the front.

"What do you think these are about?" I asked Jason.

"I'm not sure, we'll talk about it later."

"We can talk about it over lunch. We won't have a chance during periods 1,2 and 3 because we're in different classes."

"Do you already know my timetable?" Jason questioned.

"Yep."

"That's creepy."

"No it isn't, you're my best friend and I needed something to do."

"Alright then, bye Brooks. Our usual spot at lunch right?"

"Yeah, bye."

Then I turned on my heel and headed to English.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N The games have finally been introduced! Yay! Hope you enjoyed meeting Nora, Jason and Roxanne. I'm going to give a shout out at the beginnings of chapters to the first 5 people to correctly guess what "søt liten kenguru" means. Byeeeee!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cause I'm with you 'til the end of the line." Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes.