5. 'Til The End

Brooklyn's point of view:

"Can't catch me!" I called out to Jason as I sped down the slopes and hills of the forest outside our town. 

We were headed to a copse of trees about 2 miles in to visit our secluded treehouse. We go there everyday after school to chat, do homework and procrastinate as much as possible. I zipped round a large pile of moss covered rocks and decaying tree branches that Jason and I had placed there a couple of years ago to signify that the treehouse was only 100m away.

As I zipped down the last straight Oak and Fern and Hazel and Sycamore trees passed by me in a blur - their different shades of green mixing together into one single, beautiful colour. Different notes and harmonies of the wildlife around me blended into one single, calming melody. Separate smells and scents of the flowers and plants beneath me combined into one single, sweet aroma.

I came to a sharp halt at the base of the Oak our treehouse resided in and hopped off. A few seconds later Jason came to a stop next to me.

"Beat you!" I laughed breathlessly.

"Ok, alright. You beat me this time but I'll catch you tomorrow."

I grabbed the rope ladder and started making my way up it. It was pretty dangerous I have to admit; if mum new she would have a heart attack - as far as she's concerned we spend each day in a perfectly safe clearing. There was nothing holding us to the ladder and it was 12 meters up in the air! I'm not sure when it was built, we just discovered it one day and it's been our little secret ever since. It could've been built 100 years ago for all we know! It seems pretty sturdy though. There were already sofas, chairs and tables in there when we found it.

I climbed the last rung and hoisted myself into the treehouse. As I stood up I once again took in its raw beauty. It looked to be made out of planks of Brazilian Ebony - one of the hardest woods on Earth - and was constructed in an L-shape. It had not been painted and retained its natural coffee-brown colour. It had 5 windows, one on each side, and a doorway; the windows had no glass in them and were just holes in the walls but were evenly cut and fitted in with the natural beauty of the place. Ivy had crept in through the cracks of the walls and shrouded a quarter of them in forest green leaves.

We had added our own touch too. We had constructed shelves from branches we found lying outside and they held things such as snacks and sweets. Pots of flowers and other shrubs were crammed into nooks and crannies, shelves and tables, anywhere we could find space. This would basically work as our emergency bunker in case of an apocalypse or something.

I strolled into the room, hands shoved into my jeans pockets, and flopped stomach-first onto the deep red coach. It was Sunday the 16th of October and all I wanted to do was sleep and mentally prepare myself for Monday morning. The weeks had flown by since we first heard about "The Games" and it had been pushed to the back of my mind pretty much forgotten. That was all about to change.

My phone buzzed - yes we still have phones, nothing new has been invented - telling me I had a text message or email or something. Just as I reached into my pocket to grab my phone Jason arrived and thought that it would be a marvellous idea to sit on me.

"Nice cushions we've got here don't you think Brooks?"

"NO!" I huffed, squirming about underneath him, "Geoffameh!" I mumbled into the sofa.

Eventually I pushed him off of me and he tumbled to the floor laughing like usual. I got out my phone and it said: one new email. I wonder what it is. I unlocked my phone and went into my emails. There was one unread one sent by someone called Sarah Davidson; it said:

Thank you for joining "The Games"! You will be playing in Kellington as well as 2,342 other players. Remember, teams can only involve up to 10 players including yourself and can only include players from your town. You will be sent a package by the end of tomorrow containing a map, a device allowing you to add, remove & track teammates and a rule book. We recommend you spend the next few months assembling your team, planning for "The Games" and training; special facilities have been set up to allow you to train. These consist of driving ranges (cars, motorbikes, etc.), weapon stations (guns, knives, etc.) and hand-to-hand combat. Only 100 players from each town can win. Good luck player!

Flabbergasted, I stared at my phone for a good 5 minutes before Jason got fed up and stole it off of me. As he was reading I managed to get over my shock.

"I thought you weren't signing up," Jason said, giving me a confused look.

"I didn't," I whispered.

Jason whipped out his phone to check his emails.

"I've got one too."

"Well there's no turning back now."

"Do you think we'll be using actual guns?"

"No way, they're probably paintball guns or something. As a worst case scenario the guns will stun you," I explained hoping I was right.

"Well Brooks, will you fight with me?"

"Of course."

"'Til the end?"

"'Til the end of the line and don't you forget it!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Hello guys! They have been entered into the games! How I hear you ask? You're just going to have to wait and find out. If you ever want a chapter in a specific character's point of view just ask me. I'm currently planning a chapter in Nora's point of view for sometime in the near future so you have that to look forward to! Anyway, byeeeee!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cause I'm with you 'til the end of the line," Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes