blood

"Where's my white bikini with the wine stain on it?"

I stared blankly at Hunter. "We're going to a cabin in the middle of the woods, at the beginning of winter in New York. What the fuck do you need a bikini for?"

She shrugged. "Isn't there a hot tub?"

I shook my head. "There's never been a hot tub, Hunter."

"Oh. Well I'll pack it just in case." She dug through her drawers until she found the bikini, then threw it in her suitcase.

"Just, hurry up. Austin will be here soon." I threw one of her skimpy tank tops at her face.

She shimmied her shoulders. "Ooo, Austin! I'm taking you to a remote cabin where I can seduce you, and it's perfect because you have nowhere to run!"

"Shut up!" My cheeks burned as I looked for something else to throw at her. "It's not like that. He wanted to come."

She threw her head back and laughed. "Sure it's not."

Thirty minutes later, Hunter was furiously trying to shove Top Ramen into her already overflowing suitcase.

"Hunter! Hurry the fuck up!" Ryder burst in through the doorway, his car keys in hand. "Leave the ramen at home, fatass!"

She flipped him off, but was still attempting to zip up her bag while sitting on it.

"Hunter, leave it. We'll go grocery shopping when we get up there." I grabbed her hand, and pulled her out the door.

We all piled into Ryder's Audi once again, and began our drive to the cabin.

We had gone there on numerous occasions together, mostly just for parties or a place to escape. Spending Thanksgiving there had become a new tradition, since all our parents were far away, and didn't have the means to see us.

I smiled to myself, glad to have a new face with us this year.

The closer we got to the cabin, the prettier the scenery got. Tall tree towered over us, casting beautiful shadows to fall on the ground. Sunlight peeked through the branches, disappearing, then reappearing over and over. Thick trunks were scattered around us, blocking the eye from seeing anything behind them.

I leaned my head against the car door, closing my eyes. I eventually drifted off, listening to the hum of the car.

Some time later, my eyes sprung open as one side of the car jolted off the ground.

"Shit!" Ryder yelled, slamming on the breaks.

"What the fuck was that?" Hunter's breathing was heavy as she yanked her earbuds out.

"Dead deer on the side of the road," Austin mumbled, stepping out of the car.

I gingerly opened my door as well, following behind Austin.

There, six feet behind Ryder's expensive, sleek car, was a dead deer, lying lifeless on the asphalt.

It was sprawled out, his legs bent and broken. It's eyes were open and glassy, his tongue hanging out of his mouth. Blood laid in a puddle around his head, traveling down to his stomach.

I covered my mouth. "Oh my God." My breakfast began to rise in my throat, but I pushed it down.

Hunter's head popped out of the car window. The second her eyes laid sight on the deer, she said, "Nope, not today," and put her head back in the car.

Ryder came up behind me. "What do you think happened?"

Austin stepped closer to the deer, kneeling beside it. "I don't see a gunshot. It was probably just hit by a car and left here."

My face scrunched up as the scent of dead animal assaulted my nose. "Is you car okay, Ry?" I asked, averting my eyes from the deer.

He nodded, patting the trunk of his car. "Ol' Lightning over here is a trooper."

I narrowed my eyes. "You named your car Lightning?"

He grinned. "Yes. Short for Lightning McQueen."

I scoffed, and even Austin laughed a little. "You're ridiculous."

Soon enough, we all seated ourselves back in Ryder's car, and continued our journey to the cabin, this time, avoiding any encounters with dead animals.

———————

short chapter for all my short chapter lovers .

i've never been to this part of New York... so let's all do me a favor and pretend this is real! I tried to do some research on forest areas around where they lived.... it's fiction, okay. calm down karen.

thank you for reading! please vote if you enjoy.

also give me some ideas of things you want to see happen!

-novellla