Ch. 11 Real Demons Part 1

I barely stepped aside in time to avoid the metal projectile as it shot across the air like a bullet. I could hear the air swish around it. I quickly spun to the source of the problem.

Flash Man smacked his fellow robot in the back of the head. "Dang it, Heat! Don't take more than you can carry!"

The robot sheepishly set the machinery he carried down. "...Sorry, Flash Man."

Ice Man walked beside me with a stack of two boxes. "Unbelievable." He huffed while setting them down. "Only Wily could manage such undisciplined soldiers."

"Tell me about it." I sighed. "But they're the only ones who could help us out. And we'll need all the help we can get."

He nodded and straightened into a salute. "Yes sir! The largest robotics and technology convention in the world! And, for the first time in years, Dr. Light is one of the main presentations! Our orders are to ensure that all goes according to plan. There is no cause for delay, or distraction! I will be returning to get...more..." His words slowed, and his eyes were drifting to something. 

I followed his gaze and spotted Roll quietly sweeping some of the equipment. I looked back at Ice Man and gave him a pat on the back. "Nice talk, there, buddy."

When I approached, Roll gave me little acknowledgement. Her duster swept back and forth fast enough that, if there were such a thing as Dust Man or Woman, they would be impressed.

"How you doing, there?" I asked. She now looked up slightly from her work, still moving at the same rate. Her eyes had a sort of distance I hadn't seen in them before. I was left feeling uncomfortable.

"I'm quite alright." She replied. "And you?"

I rubbed the back of my head. "Just kind of wishing Dr. Light could have gotten Wood Man or Bubble Man to help us. Someone needs to balance these two out." The two of us looked back simultaneously as Heat Man began tightening some screws, all the while Flash Man ridiculing every little thing he did.

Roll snickered lightly and quickly refocused on her task. She now had switched to an even smaller duster, and was getting inside the nuts and bolts. "Is there a reason you came over here?"

"...Well, I was kind of hoping you'd let me talk to you about what happened with Blues."

Her hands finally stopped moving. "What is there to talk about?"

I sighed. "Roll, I know how you felt about what happened. Believe me, if I could have done something to keep him from leaving, I would have. But he wanted to go, and Dr. Light wasn't ready to let him stay."

"Since when has anything like that stopped you?" She said. "You were quick to take action when Dr. Wily attacked, even though no one wanted you to. You constantly rush into battle like it's your home. Even when you're at Light Labs, you act like you're still being evaluated on something."

I frowned. "Is this about something besides Blues?"

Her eyes watered. "You didn't grow up with me, Rock. You were my brother, but I had to watch you leave. And after years of waiting, you finally come back." She sniffled, but still tried to appear as strong as possible. "...But you didn't know me! You didn't know how much I cared about you!"

I swallowed as she broke down into a small sobbing fit. I took a few steps forward, with my arms out.

Her hand went up, which caught me off guard along with her tone of voice in the next thing she said: "Stop. Just leave me alone."

Unsure of what else I could do, I turned around and left her to her task.

-Later-

After a while of moving and setting up equipment, Dr. Light was prepared for his presentation.